Hi. I'm a complete beginner confused self-builder!!!

Jack757

Where to start!!!!

I have an 1/2 acre serviced plot with a bungalow to be demolished. Found an Architect that I seem happy with, however..... I'm so confused and we are not really off the starting blocks yet.

We were adamant we wanted a traditional block/brick house. 4 bedroom about 220/240sqm with a useable but not habitable loft, Mid spec, budget approx 500k.

Following a recent house builders exhibition, we are now thinking is a wood framed house (like Potton), oak framed or SIP better.  Previously having a new build I hated the paper thin walls hence why we like our current old brick built house but for what I'm led to believe self builds are not like this and the alternatives may be a better way to go?  

Advice please. What are people's opinions? We seem to take one step forward and ten back..

SIP look to be future proof but then I worry about reading of a 65year timescale on these and this house I potentially want to live in for the next 30 years and pass to my children being no good further down the line. 

Oak framed look lovely but seen to incorporate an awful lot of glass to most of them which we do not want and are we paying the extra just for the 'oak effect'.

Potton and the likes of do not fill me with confidence and reviews do not seem that great.

Brick/block.... Is it not worthwhile anymore, we were looking at solar panels with battery, underfloor heating, air pump etc but would this lose too much heat.

Since originally thinking of this project pre Covid prices have also considerably increased and is this size property doable still on our budget? 

Help a girl out please

• Like 1

welcome. you've certainly come to the right place to get information on all of that! you sound like you're in a very similar place to where we were 3 years ago. we decided on timber frame and, if I was to do it again, I would go for a twin-wall passive timber frame with pumped in cellulose for insulation. will give the solid feeling wall you want and also be a lot more environmentally friendly than block and brick. but there are also many on here that have built block and brick and have very good airtightness and low heating. there are so many different factors involved in both build methods.

my advice is to spend hours and hours and hours reading this forum as all the information you could think of is here. go through each sub-forum for the subject you're interested in or do a search. maybe your first search should be 'timber frame vs brick and block' as that subject has been discussed many time.

good luck and I look forward to following your journey.

• Like 2

Timber frame does not mean "paper thin walls"  The walls can be as thick and solid as you want them to be.  Arguably properly made timber frame with the right insulation transmits sound less than a brick wall.

If you want the traditional look, timber frame with a brick outer skin is common.

• Like 1

Welcome.

A house can look the same, or different, irrespective of construction type.  So don't get hung up of that aspect.

Energy usage is down to two main things, insulation levels and air tightness.  OK 4 things if you take the size and form into account.

One advantage of factory build timber frame houses is that they tend to be higher quality as they are made using jigs and better tooling.  The best an onside builder has is a wonky straightedge and his grandfathers spirit level.

Don't get hung up on kitchens and bathrooms, they are simple things to change, some on here have paid more for them that my house costs.

Also don't get to involved in heating systems, design a house to be low energy usage and it really does not matter what sort of system you put in, it will use little energy.

What part of Essex, there are the nice bits, and then there is the Thames Estuary, which I still have a soft spot for. 

• Like 1

We built a timber framed highly insulated house about 10 years ago, all I can advise is try and see as many building of different construction types as you can, we went round several new builds in the area and spoke to the developers about what they were doing and we also approached some self builders,  most were very happy to help, at that time in Norfolk there was an excellent open house scheme for people interested in design and energy efficiency where self builders and related business has open days.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments.

@Thorfun I'm slowly heading more towards timber frame going by what I am reading. I am going slowly through the comments and forums but such a minefield. I keep saying to myself is it worth it.... hopefully so and the upheaval will pay off in the end.  Hopefully I will be able to update as I get further along.

@ProDaveThank you. I'm certainly looking more along this route and think timber frame and brick skin does appeal.

@SteamyTea Perfect, very true regarding the spirit level ha-ha. We wanted to keep things simple and certainly would not be going ott with kitchens and bathrooms.  We are just looking for a warm functioning family house that has enough space for us and doesn't cost a fortune to run, nor too much cleaning for me!  Not too far from Southend.

@TimCxGood idea. Haven't seen anything similar to that around here but will keep my eye out and see what info I can find.