Power Over Ethernet unmanaged switch

I'm trying but failing to find an 8 Port Gigabit Network Switch that itself can be powered by PoE.

It doesn't need to distribute PoE - just get its power from the incoming RJ45 so I can locate it in roofspace with no mains.

Not an easy thing to Google up because PoE obviously links to thousands of switches that supply power to the ports, from its AC adaptor.

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Search reverse PoE.. 

There we go! The magic word. Not many options around but the one you linked looks fine. I've never used a managed switch before though, can you just treat them as plug & play if you don't want to use the additional networking features?

8 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

You could use a 'poor mans' passive PoE injector/splitter such as this one and then you'd have the choice of any switch you like.

I guess it might be OK, switches with a 12V adaptor will probably regulate down to 5V so there's a bit of headroom for cable volt-drops. The cable I'm working with is around 20m so it'll be a bit borderline. But for £7, worth a punt using a spare switch I can probably dig out.

I see there are also active versions that at least regulate down from 48V to 12V at the far end. That might be a better approach as it would considerably reduce the current in the feeder cable. I was expecting to buy a regular PoE equipped switch for the router end of this link anyway.

• Like 2