Help with my Master Wing Design - 8.5 x 5m

So looking at my Master bedroom suite, our builder is advising against our 'pocket door system' since it might be too noisy when people are sleeping. 

Therefore, would love to have your thoughts on how you would fill in essentially a 8.5 x 5 wing, with the following requirements:

Main space

- Needs to fit a king size bed, FCU (aircon) in roof

- Core idea is that the 2 adults go to bed and wake up at different times, so sneaking out, getting dressed (whilst not disturbing with light/noise) is important. We figured the walkin would work but the doors might be too noisy? Or is there a telescopic (2-layer) pocket door system that is whisper quiet?

Walk-in closet (optional I suppose, but we like the idea)

- 600 deep, 550 works

- 3000 wide is sufficient

Gym

- Min size 2x3m

- Service shaft is fixed, manifold could be moved.

Ensuite

- Needs a bath

- shower semi-optional, could use the bath

Current design: as you can tell a roomy gym, and the pocket door makes the master feel large when opened whilst giving space to get dressed/undressed.

image.thumb.jpeg.41a6a708d5d85ea456fbc83fd719bb3a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4b88c6c9ef7340bdeaabdb59d71a8a6e.jpeg

ezgif-3-df190ab6dd.gif

I have an idea, but I think it would only work if you can move your windows. Hear me out:

In my experience using the bathroom is noisier than the wardrobe, particularly if you can pick out tomorrow’s outfit when your partner is still awake. So I would place the walk in wardrobe in between the bathroom and the bedroom, to give the bathroom some extra noise insulation. I’m not sure you need a sliding pocket door for the walk in wardrobe. Just make it one communal walk in area with one regular (but fairly narrow) door. 

The two options I can think of to achieve this are.

Option 1

788377EE-0558-4653-B995-AACDDA60943D.thumb.jpeg.d87f2f2fe43109254c2db31e972893f7.jpeg

Problem with Option 1 is that the location of the bed is really sub optimal. Walking into a bedroom and hitting the bed like that is just awkward. And it’s a bad use of space as the top right hand corner is wasted and the bed area is cramped.

So Option 2 fixes these issues, but you would need to move the windows:

738EC318-142E-499A-A700-B45F484A0DA0.thumb.jpeg.9f21a65e2e5cd0f11cffb1cc215587e7.jpeg

• Like 1

One question on your en-suite: the shower cubicle (if that is what is drawn in the top right hand corner of the bathroom) looks small. Does the gym need to be that big, or could it be smaller? Do you need a separate shower cubicle, or could you make your bath bigger and combine it with the shower. Do you need a bath? Sometimes, less is more.

First, thank you! :)

I think we have some potential to move windows, we could consider it. Obviously (?) one of the reasons we positioned the walk in is to have daylight to judge clothing colors but it's not a huge deal

55 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

One question on your en-suite: the shower cubicle (if that is what is drawn in the top right hand corner of the bathroom) looks small. Does the gym need to be that big, or could it be smaller?

The point of the gym size is primarily to also allow a the provisional elevator gap. With your design #2 I guess that wall could move slightly

55 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Do you need a separate shower cubicle, or could you make your bath bigger and combine it with the shower. Do you need a bath? Sometimes, less is more.

Bath is required, shower strongly preferred, yes. 

I like your option 2, let me see if there's some options to do this.

We've just finished ours and have kept large bedroom entirely separate to dressing space and bathroom and it works really well in terms of one not disturbing the other. A lot depends on your planned use of bed 3 as a bedroom but I would have kept it simple and separate - ie nice large master bedroom with no clothes storage or ensuite then with a connecting door and a separate entry door to the other multi-purpose room and then configure it to provide the gym, bathroom and clothes storage all in the same place....

As shown the sliding door and ensuite will be noise and light nuisances.

The advantage of this suggestion is that an early riser can get showered / dressed and exit without returning through bedroom. The disadvantage is the loss of your personal bathroom if someone sleeping in bed 3 but that's why it depends if very occasional or not. If to be an occasional guest room then nice for them to have integral bathroom (which can still be cleverly arranged to afford some privacy).

Doc 04 Oct 2022, 7.54-1.jpg

8 hours ago, puntloos said:

I think we have some potential to move windows, we could consider it. Obviously (?) one of the reasons we positioned the walk in is to have daylight to judge clothing colors but it's not a huge deal

There is a solution to the light issue. Invest in 5 or 6 very high CRI light bulbs for that room. They are not that expensive these days, even at a CRI of 94. I think 95 might also be available.

On 04/10/2022 at 08:09, Modernista said:

We've just finished ours and have kept large bedroom entirely separate to dressing space and bathroom and it works really well in terms of one not disturbing the other. A lot depends on your planned use of bed 3 as a bedroom but I would have kept it simple and separate - ie nice large master bedroom with no clothes storage or ensuite then with a connecting door and a separate entry door to the other multi-purpose room and then configure it to provide the gym, bathroom and clothes storage all in the same place....

The advantage of this suggestion is that an early riser can get showered / dressed and exit without returning through bedroom. The disadvantage is the loss of your personal bathroom if someone sleeping in bed 3 but that's why it depends if very occasional or not. If to be an occasional guest room then nice for them to have integral bathroom (which can still be cleverly arranged to afford some privacy).

You're suggesting something that has both a bath and a gym? Never seen the two combined in polite company ;) Or still some separation?

On 04/10/2022 at 08:09, Modernista said:

Weird, somehow my previous post didn't actually contain what I typed. 

I like the idea of keeping it simple but I don't think you can have a gym in a bathroom unless you really only do 'yoga' etc.

On 09/10/2022 at 14:22, puntloos said:

Weird, somehow my previous post didn't actually contain what I typed. 

I like the idea of keeping it simple but I don't think you can have a gym in a bathroom unless you really only do 'yoga' etc.

I guess I was just thinking that you might have space for a single gym machine, clothes storage and a shower room in that area generally. You can still partition partially for privacy etc but I was assuming use by people who were going to be ok with the final configuration privacy-wise / or would structure use accordingly. In passing,  I just used a tiled stud wall for some separation in a restricted-space shower room (using a standard bath replacement tray) to avoid the cleaning that glass screens demand and to give a wet room feel without hassle and it has come out quite well....there might be a way that you could give privacy to a multi-use space like that - plus jump straight off cross trainer and into the shower! Still don't think you can beat a nice open bedroom (and more space to add privacy screen by entry door)

shower - 1 (1).jpeg

shower - 1.jpeg

• Like 1