Proforma Invoices / VAT Reclaim

I'm buying materials largely with merchants and am often paying in advance against proforma invoices. (understandably as a one-off purchaser)  Am I able to use these proforma invoices for my VAT reclaim, or should I be chasing up merchants after delivery to issue a final invoice/receipt, even though I've already paid?

• 1 year later...

Pro forma invoice are not ‘real’ invoices in accounting terms - they’re a bit like quotes i.e. an offer to supply for that price - they don’t prove you accepted the ‘quote’ or paid or took delivery. While HMRC might not notice, they’re quite within their rights to reject. You should be able to get real copy invoices after-the-fact from reputable suppliers.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 11:20, BadgerBadger said:

Am I able to use these proforma invoices for my VAT reclaim,

I fell foul of this when submitting my VAT claim to HMRC. I did manage to get the correct invoices from the companies involved easily though. Any delay with HMRC is best avoided.

3 hours ago, gavztheouch said:

How did you get on with proforma invoices HMRC say that do not accept proforma invoices for vat reclaim? 

Reclaim hasn't been submitted, but I've making sure I follow up with all suppliers and get a proper VAT receipt after payment 👍 

I've had various proforma invoices issued from companies along the way that i haven't gone ahead with for one reason or another, so fairly understandable that HMRC can't accept them as proof that VAT has been paid.