Rural passive house build on a farm

Furnace

13 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Did that take the shading into account, seems that the majority of the modules will be shaded for half the year.

Hi Steamy,

No shading was input on either of the calculators. Am I interpreting or inputting incorrectly?

image.thumb.png.7ebde95826238b91e546a045bdc1d187.png

image.thumb.png.b6496a62a46b1d3fa089b49b90c924b1.png

1 hour ago, Furnace said:

inputting incorrectly

PVGIS allies you to add a local horizon. You will need to create a file and input that.

I have never done it, but others have, so probably not so hard.

Just looks to me as though the lower modules in the larger roof will be shaded a lot. Trouble with shading is that it can impact other modules if the installer does not use optimisers, which basically by pass the shaded module.

Then, if the unshaded modules do not create enough voltage, nothing is generated.

One way around this is micro inverters, so each module is, in effect, a stand alone system.

I suspect that the lower row of modules will have very low output, and probably not worth fitting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Susie said:

I know you’re doing PHPP but have you done your Part O modelling yet. You need to do that ideally before the planning. 

Hi Susie,

We haven't done that. Is it a DIY job or need another consultant?

Best

Mark

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Just looks to me as though the lower modules in the larger roof will be shaded a lot

You're right in that the 3 lone ones bottom left are probably redundant. The rest of the roof looks pretty unshaded from Feb to Nov using geolocated Sketchup. I'll do further assessment, but for now it's for the planning app, not actual installation.
Cheers
Mark

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

+1. Needs a proper solar survey doing with the shading looking at exclusively.

The lower panels may be worth sticking with, if the software states it. 

Yup, deffo will be done before spending money.

Is there an online model where one can input the actual mounted arrays and determine viability? I've briefly looked at the Skelion Sketchup plugin previously. Any experience of it?

Cheers

Mark

3 minutes ago, Furnace said:

Yup, deffo will be done before spending money.

Is there an online model where one can input the actual mounted arrays and determine viability? I've briefly looked at the Skelion Sketchup plugin previously. Any experience of it?

Cheers

Mark

I get all of mine done with my PV partner, so I know they're kosher / MCS compliant etc. No experience of any of the solar packages myself, but loads on here have used them I believe.

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I get all of mine done with my PV partner, so I know they're kosher / MCS compliant etc. No experience of any of the solar packages myself, but loads on here have used them I believe.

Gotcha. Thanks

7 hours ago, Furnace said:

Hi Susie,

We haven't done that. Is it a DIY job or need another consultant?

Best

Mark

There is a spreadsheet at https://www.futurehomes.org.uk/avoid-overheating 

You can fill that in and if you get a pass you're done but it is very difficult to pass the spreadsheet method, this is supposed to be the simplified method but you will find it’s far from simple. It does not take into account MVHR, solar glass, shading. 
For the dynamic modelling it’s buy the software or pay a consultant. 
I had a simple single floor rectangle but still failed. We were not overglazed but did have a lot of non opening windows because we are having MVHR and I don’t want flies inside in summer.  Plus other reasons. 
Have a look at the spreadsheet and if you need any help ask away I have learnt a lot. 

26 minutes ago, Susie said:

There is a spreadsheet at https://www.futurehomes.org.uk/avoid-overheating 

You can fill that in and if you get a pass you're done but it is very difficult to pass the spreadsheet method, this is supposed to be the simplified method but you will find it’s far from simple. It does not take into account MVHR, solar glass, shading. 
For the dynamic modelling it’s buy the software or pay a consultant. 
I had a simple single floor rectangle but still failed. We were not overglazed but did have a lot of non opening windows because we are having MVHR and I don’t want flies inside in summer.  Plus other reasons. 
Have a look at the spreadsheet and if you need any help ask away I have learnt a lot. 

Thanks so much Susie. I'll take a look tomorrow, since today has been devoted to providing appropriate information to demonstrate that our passive house design complies with the council's requirement for 10% renewables and is therefore an acceptable proposal......... Grrr.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2023 at 18:09, Susie said:

I had a simple single floor rectangle but still failed

Yup, mine fails too. Sigh.....
image.thumb.png.3b749bbe275c043db71a18f4e5366734.png

PHPP returns a zero risk of overheating, but the Part O sheet suggests I need many more opening windows. That I won't open due to MVHR and insects.
I'll tinker with changing the fixed panes to opening and see if that might force a pass.

Sigh again

image.png

3 hours ago, Furnace said:

Yup, mine fails too. Sigh.....
image.thumb.png.3b749bbe275c043db71a18f4e5366734.png

PHPP returns a zero risk of overheating, but the Part O sheet suggests I need many more opening windows. That I won't open due to MVHR and insects.
I'll tinker with changing the fixed panes to opening and see if that might force a pass.

Sigh again

image.png

Can you put more windows on the North side that open?

I put opening roof windows on the North side. It made my North side the most glazed so my first two targets were easier to achieve. 
I also have opening inward at 90 degrees and no arms length requirement. 
you did well on the bedrooms. 

Your close to the target.

keep on tweaking sizes.

front door is probably not glazed only any side lights.

Where you ok with the open plan rules 4.5m depth restriction, if you have changed windows here check again it's still the same room.  We had open plan South, East and West it started 4.5m from South but after changing windows was 4.5m from East which meant most glazed room changed.

image.thumb.png.5ce390f6e2f74b32b7e416d0e18d3960.png

Squeaked in, but had to make a kitchen door unglazed and a utility room door half glazed. Not what I wanted.

I don't understand how shading is dealt with in Part O. My design has brises soleils on the southern aspect, yet I don't see how this is factored into the Simplified approach. Any thoughts?

Mark

Edited by Furnace
Resize image

Shading isn’t taken into account neither is MVHR or solar glazing. 
You can take all of them into account if you do the Dynamic modelling.

So just two door changes and all windows open that’s not too bad.

Did you check the arms reach for opening windows or are they open inward?

You could put really cheap doors on and change them after completion. 
I do wonder if it’s going to be checked. 

Thanks Susie,

11 hours ago, Susie said:

Did you check the arms reach for opening windows or are they open inward?

The spreadsheet looks like it calculates the effective opening angle based on the 650mm reach criterion and the 'distance of window from inside wall' cell that we need to input. This feeds through to the 'equivalent area' that modifies the total glazed area. I've converted one large-ish fixed pane to an inward opening window (that uses a 90deg effective opening angle) to benefit from its full area in the 'removal of excess heat' metric without negatively impacting the 'total glazing area' metric.

12 hours ago, Susie said:

You could put really cheap doors on and change them after completion. 

That's certainly an option, but since I'm going passive house I'd prefer to avoid changing anything that might affect the integrity of the envelope

12 hours ago, Susie said:

I do wonder if it’s going to be checked. 

My architect hasn't yet had a project go through the new regs and can't comment. I also don't know if PHPP will be seen as an acceptable alternative. I'm not overly keen on engaging (yet another) consultant to do the dynamic modelling if it's not necessary.

Big sigh....

• 4 weeks later...

Brief update.

Received confirmation from Sevenoaks Building Control that PHPP is acceptable as an alternative to Part O

Planning application for the new build (using the approved Class Q as fallback) was lodged with the LPA today.

It feels like progress.

Sevenoaks/confirmation/acceptable...not words that usually go together.

I'm mulling an application to SDC myself. Had the architect down and a fee proposal.

Edited by Onoff

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Sevenoaks/confirmation/acceptable...not words that usually go together.

I even got it in writing....

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm mulling an application to SDC myself. Had the architect down and a fee proposal.

I'm happy to share any info you might find useful.

• Thanks 1