How to achieve this soffit colour/effect?

We have quite large over hangs on our white render, black windows, modern bungalow. Some of them are 1.8m, others 80cm and the rest 30cm....so they are quite a feature.

The colour scheme/style we really like is below, but we are struggling on how to achieve this effect or what colours/stains we should be looking at.

Our build has costed in for pine t&g boards for u to colour...but we have never done this before so are hoping for any tips or advice?

Soffit 1.JPG

Soffit 2.JPG

Edited by Andehh

Here is one I did, using extreme ends of the colour range from Sadolin Extra:  Light Oak and Dark Palisander.

The oak barely changes the colour of white pine but 'freezes' the colour for many years instead of going grey. Gives it  a sheen too.

Your colour is available, 'mahogany' probably.

As pine will probably shrink after fixing, you should either stain beyond any overlaps before fitting, or give it a while to settle in before coating in situ, otherwise annoying 'tan lines' may appear.

Horizontal (on another wall) , vertical, diagonal and overhead all on one building....Cross Referring to another discussion, I can see hiccups in this but nobody else has ever commented.

6th form wood finish.png

I didn't emphasise perhaps, that we used standard pine, tanalised. 1/4 the cost of red cedar (which you have to be careful with re fixings/damp etc).

A timber merchant (client , so knew well) pointed me to a report on red cedar saying it doesn't perform well in maritime, warm, damp conditions.

They copy it to specifiers to avoid future claims on staining.

So it will depend where you live.

On 25/09/2022 at 08:48, Andehh said:

Thanks very much all, western red cedar looks to be the one we need to go for!

@Russel - are you able to recommend any suppliers? Or advice on obtaining it? Thanks

All suppliers are the same if you specifically ask for the clear grade, it all has to comply with how many defects (knots) it has per metre. 

The price is eye watering, look at about £5-7 per linear m making it about £90 a metre. 

Plus staining. 

If you want that look you don’t have a choice. 

I looked at loads of different materials but they all looked a bit plasticy, we are on the side of a lake and had a set theme in mind , if you want sharp and no maintenance then go composite plastic. 

If you want natural and don’t mind re staining every few years go wood.