EPS for soundprrofing?

cbk

Ive ended up with surplus EPS insulation - 25mm thick and now need to buy some soundproofing to fill stud work walls and first floor ceiling.  Can I use up the EPS as sound proofing layer (even a double layer) instead?

47 minutes ago, cbk said:

Ive ended up with surplus EPS insulation - 25mm thick and now need to buy some soundproofing to fill stud work walls and first floor ceiling.  Can I use up the EPS as sound proofing layer (even a double layer) instead?

The labour from cutting and fitting ( effectively ) will be far beyond the cost saving, as you’ll have lots of difficult spaces to access / fill. 
Sell it off and buy proper acoustic wool / batts afaic. 

https://soundproofexpert.com/polystyrene/

EPS (along other rigid cellular plastic foams) has no acoustic properties - thermal yes, acoustic no. Acoustic products either have large mass or open cell structure (to absorb sound energy). Foams are all very lightweight and have a closed cell structure - just what you don't need!!

The website linked above is just so wrong. Expert????????

Mineral wool is the best option for stud walls (with plasterboard both sides).

14 hours ago, ADLIan said:

EPS (along other rigid cellular plastic foams) has no acoustic properties - thermal yes, acoustic no. Acoustic products either have large mass or open cell structure (to absorb sound energy). Foams are all very lightweight and have a closed cell structure - just what you don't need!!

The website linked above is just so wrong. Expert????????

Mineral wool is the best option for stud walls (with plasterboard both sides).

I actually convinced myself that the link was incorrect, but when you see prestige TF ( passivehaus rated ) companies using EPS beads, and raving about the results, then you start to reconsider your own knowledge. 
Criticism accepted, and I’m very happy to be corrected.

I was actually going to respond with my opinion of EPS and PIR being quite acoustically ‘transparent’, wish I had now. A lot of PIR SIPS type roofs are very noisy in the rain / hail etc, so am happy to change what I said, as this is a rolling thread on a public forum, where members reside here free of charge. Please take what I say with a pinch of salt folks, I’m only human.

Expert? Just a member on here, same as everyone else, and here to pick up info and learn on the way ( whilst sharing stuff where I would consider myself well-versed ). 
Wings clipped!!

10 hours ago, Iceverge said:

If you have a cold attic bung it in there instead.

defo better to use it up elsewhere for thermal insulation.