Internal doors - standard sizes v making bespoke

Tom

Hi All - we are going to start putting up internal walls in the next few weeks and so need to set the internal door sizes, which isn't clear on our architects plans. Ceilings in a few areas are going to be 2.4m, but in the majority of the build there are going to be vaulted ceilings - so we don't want doors that look to small and out of place.

Looking at various places online I can see standard door sizes are either 2040 or 1981mm high and a variety of widths. I guess I was thinking along the lines of a 2200mm high doors in most areas. Our internal joinery (window reveals, skirting etc) is going to be in birch ply and I have been thinking about simply getting cheap doors and facing either side in birch ply to the required size. Is this a dumb idea? Am I making things more difficult for myself further down the line and should I be sticking with off-the-shelf sizes?

Thanks all

We have all vaulted ceiling and used pre made standard size doors. They don't look odd or small.  You may be other thinking.

A previous house we renovated needed new doors and every one was a different width and height, cost a small fortune to replace, as each was made to order.

• Like 1