Cattle Shed Demolition Advice

kantryla

Hi all, looking for some advice.  We have bought a 27m x 10m x 4m timber framed steel roofed cattle shed that we need to take down to make way for a new self build.  We have some big quotes north of 10k and 6 weeks effort to demolish.  Actually I should say disassemble as I want to try and reuse as much of the timber in other project as I can.  I've never demolished anything before so the answers are probably going to be don't be stupid, but looking at ways of saving money here, so perhaps there's something I can do to reduce the cost.

My thinking is that I could remove the cladding from the outside that should be pretty simple, and remove the steel roof, they're in 5.5m by 1m (or so) sheets and are all screwed down.  Again I think I should be able to remove these by hand and a scaffold tower, unscrewing and lowering the sheets down.  That would just leave the timber frame.  My first question is - if I remove the cladding and roof - will the timber frame stay up, or does it rely on the cladding for rigidity?

The frame looks like a giant meccano set with galvanised connectors bolted holding all of the timber together. The timbers are huge in the roof 5.5m by 300m by 100mm so pretty heavy I'm sure.  Also not sure how they fit together as they all seem to be totally interlocked together.  I'm wondering if using a telehandler and straps and then unbolting one at a time and lower would work?  But as they're all interlocked together not sure how you'd go about lifting them out.

Any thoughts on how to tackle this?  Also I know people buy second hand steel portal building but is there any market for timeber framed ones, all of vertical timber frame is set in the concrete based so assume it would need to be chain sawed and therefore significantly lower if reassembled - but do you think there'd be interest and where might be the best place to advertise it?  

Thanks

69424646_IMG_0345(1).jpeg.604f0b42c00b8343711e7be1fc9c8c89.jpeg239807235_IMG_0379(1).jpeg.9f9f6f6613127b7b30575ba98a406671.jpeg227153686_IMG_0384(1).jpeg.d7d315cf98d2df3b3cc20c86a83ed80b.jpeg

That is very easy to take down and would only be a weeks work for 2 people (experienced) and a tele handler and scissor lift.

if you want to do it yourself, hire a small scissor lift, get the sheets off, most of purlins out and then get someone local with tele handler to give you a hand for a day to lay frames down. Say £200 for 2 weeks scissor lift and £300 for tele handler for a day.

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

I need to make alterations to a similar one- I’ll have your metal roofing if it’s in good nick.

Once you work out how to take it down yourself (suggestions above infinitely sensible), let me know, it’s on my to-do list!!

52 minutes ago, markc said:

That is very easy to take down and would only be a weeks work for 2 people (experienced) and a tele handler and scissor lift.

if you want to do it yourself, hire a small scissor lift, get the sheets off, most of purlins out and then get someone local with tele handler to give you a hand for a day to lay frames down. Say £200 for 2 weeks scissor lift and £300 for tele handler for a day.

This is the solution. Our local farmer had scissor lift and tele handler and helped remove large steel frame Agri shed for us. Then digger to remove existing concrete pad  before starting to level the site.

Sissor Lift and telehandler_1.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks you all for your responses, @markc, @JamesP looks like scissor lift and tele handler is the way to go thanks.  I'm going to see if there's any money in it first but will use this as my plan b.  @WillI'll drop you a note if we take it down.  @Onoff yes very much got planning permission, it was Class Q, but after a protracted planning application we managed to get fullk planning permission to demolish and build something new in its place.  Just going through tender process now with builders.