Cavity wall lintel advice for self build required

ruggers

Can anyone advise on where is best to buy catnic type lintels at a good price and the difference of where you'd use standard or heavy duty lintels. 150/100 have been specified for a 100 block, 150 cavity, 100 face brick outer.

There doesn't seem to be as many places selling them as other items online. Last time i priced a load, builders merchants were expensive compared to online.

Re SD vs HD lintels, I was advised by Catnic (who will produce a schedule FOC if you send your drawings) that SD is suitable for brick & HD is required for stone due to the extra weight load - but you should check with your architect/SE as there may be other factors e.g. span length.  My facing walls were designed as mainly brick with some stone panels in between the GF & FF windows but in the end I went 100% brick to save on labour & materials cost.

• Thanks 1

@nod Thanks I'll have a look at them, strange how they can offer better prices than the merchants when part of the main group.

@CanskiJust had a look, no build base near and they don't deliver to my location. I will save the birtley name to try. It seems theres plenty of suppliers but lots of unheard of local ones and sometimes they offer better prices than the ones that come up on main searches online.

11 hours ago, shuff27 said:

Re SD vs HD lintels, I was advised by Catnic (who will produce a schedule FOC if you send your drawings) that SD is suitable for brick & HD is required for stone due to the extra weight load - but you should check with your architect/SE as there may be other factors e.g. span length.  My facing walls were designed as mainly brick with some stone panels in between the GF & FF windows but in the end I went 100% brick to save on labour & materials cost.

My design is quite basic so I'm hoping it's all standard lintels, I've contacted catnic as you mentioned but theres quite a long waiting list at the moment so I'll have to wait. So using facing brick only, did you get away with the SD ones? They now offer a thermally broken lintel but the prices are off the scale for them.