Hello from Northern England

flyingfisherman

@flyingfisherman

On a similar journey. Finished self building in 2020 and for the last two summers I've been producing lots of compost.

I started of with one large no dig bed this spring with some great results, I will add three more beds next year and more after that. 

This year I have incorporated biochar and seaweed to my compost production.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flyingfisherman said:

no-dig philosophy

I have 2 slightly raised beds and am working on the no-dig principle. 

I am not fully signed up to the extremes of the Charles Dowding books I have, but most seems sensible.

The ground is 45m of clay and it took me 40 minutes to dig a 300mm deep hole for a new plant last month. That clay is under the no-dig beds too, and it is amazing what a difference the top 200mm does.

Is seaweed sustainable? I wonder sometimes where it comes from.

35 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Is seaweed sustainable? I wonder sometimes where it comes from.

I take a few old sheep food bags down and bag up loose stuff on the beach, usually after windy weather.

It can go directly on beds but I add to my compost and that keeps the flies and smells away.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Falmouth 

That isn't a commercial supply. But collecting it off a beach and processing has to be better than burning it.

I have seen news of rejected applications in Scotland  for industrial scale harvesting of live seaweed 'fields' which, of course would affect whatever else lives and grows there.

My interest having  been piqued I have now found this. Generally very small scale production, the smallest being the Summer Isles

100 kg of 3 species
All year round
Hand

plus larger quantities gathered as waste at docks/power station, which again seems better than dumping.

But then a large quantity at Lewis

Up to 11,500 wet tonnes per annum 

Hand and mechanical using modified boat with cutter.

Maybe I am just suspicious but what is the chance that some large corporation will end up stripping the sea.