How to fix this hole

Radian

IMG_20220801_154050635_HDR.thumb.jpeg.7722ddedcc906402ddd0c47563e86879.jpeg

It has been over a year since we had a regular procession of grab lorries, skip deliveries, cement trucks etc. The driveway suffered badly during that time and we've just kind of got used to it. But it really needs something doing. But what?

I know nothing about tarmac or whatever this black stuff is called. Is it something you can buy and lay cold?

When I read online reviews of cold lay tarmac, there's not much positivity around. Not that I put all my faith in those kind of reports as there are some right dummies around who wouldn't read the instructions.  It would be more useful to hear of some experiences here.

Cold tarmac is ok for patching a small hole or around a access or inspection cover but it does not set like hot lay stuff does. That said, most users of cold lay set themselves up to fail by not prepping the holes, get rid of any mud and loose stuff, good priming with bituminous paint or better still roofing compound to give the tarmac change to get hold of the hole.

Edited by markc

37 minutes ago, markc said:

it does not set like hot lay stuff does

So what happens when lorries roll over it? As we are at the end of a cul-de-sac  everything tends to back a little way into our drive to turn. Bin lorries twice a week. Can't see how it would stay put.