Does anybody know how to make SolarEdge inverters work when the power is off and the house is isolated from the grid?

bertybuttface

Hello,

Does anybody know how to make SolarEdge inverters work when the power is off and the house is isolated from the grid? I've spoken with an electrician who said we would need to ensure the house was fully isolated before doing this so we don't fry a linesman or anyone else for that matter.

That said he was unable to help with the SolarEdge specific part, we found a "Backup Interface" but it is only available in North America. 

Has anybody done this? Can someone nudge me in the right direction? Happy to report back with findings like the last mini adventure with the battery itself.

I'm using a Solar Edge Energy Bank Battery with a SE8000H.

Thanks a lot,

BB

Google found hints that they can be used with other sources (presumably a generator) but not without another source..

https://www.moleenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/F1_FAQs_SolarEdge_Enery_Bank_UK.pdf

The HD-Wave inverters compatible with the Energy Bank can be used only in on-grid configurations and do not currently offer backup services, although backup functionality is expected in 2022. "

I wonder if the  "Backup Interface" box is just another inverter to provide that source from the battery (and some control circuitry) to fool the main inverter into thinking its tied to the grid?

UK rule G98/99 etc, expressly forbid a grid connected inverter from operating in Island mode.  Type approval testing ensures manufactures comply.  I tested mine (Growatt) with a generator and house disconnected from grid and even with generator running (correct volts/hertz) the PV supplied no power to the house.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

I wonder if the  "Backup Interface" box is just another inverter to provide that source from the battery (and some control circuitry) to fool the main inverter into thinking its tied to the grid?

I think the backup unit is an integrated inverter/charger and grid disconnect unit all in one, so there isnt a "main" inverter. Im guessing the inverter is able to run in off grid/island mode only when the disconnect device(contactor?) has isolated the house from the grid. Not sure if theyve got certification in the UK yet??

• 2 weeks later...

Found the backup interface for preorder in the EU (with a datasheet). Previously only saw the AU and US one so hopefully this is progress:

https://www.mg-solar-shop.com/solaredge-bi-eu3p-home-backup-interface-for-home-hub-inverters

This site is saying February 2023 for stock: https://www.inutec-int.com/us/solaredge-home-backup-interface-bi-eu3p.html

Edited by bertybuttface

On 24/08/2022 at 18:30, JohnMo said:

UK rule G98/99 etc, expressly forbid a grid connected inverter from operating in Island mode.  Type approval testing ensures manufactures comply.  I tested mine (Growatt) with a generator and house disconnected from grid and even with generator running (correct volts/hertz) the PV supplied no power to the house.

I think grid tied inverters test the impedance of the grid as well as voltage and frequency.

So not as simple as putting a 50 Hz, 230V signal into them.

44 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I think grid tied inverters test the impedance of the grid as well as voltage and frequency.

So not as simple as putting a 50 Hz, 230V signal into them.

E N503301-1 requires that Inverters should Isolate themselves within 5 seconds if they detect a grid impedance change of Z=0.5Ω