Tree Roots On Foundation

Williams

I started preparing a foundation for a large shed build. My house is an inner city semi-detached, hence the smaller gardens.

The tarmac had a compacted sub base - which is fine.

But on lifting up the paving slabs it was full of tree roots which are literally touching the surface. See pictures.

It would also explain why the paving has become uneven near my house now. When I step into my back garden the first paving slab sinks under my body weight.

2 years ago my neighbour planted a tree adjacent to the border fence. It has grown pretty quick - now the height of my bedroom window so I can touch the branches. It's about 2 meters from my house (the houses were built staggered) and about 4m from my neighbours house.

I'm not sure what to do moving forward.

1. I need a level foundation, so to get 10cm deep with sub base and mortar I will have to dig deeper than the tree roots. Can I cut them out? What if it damages the tree?

2. I'm now also worried of the long term damage that the tree could cause. In 2 years it's the height beyond my bedroom window with roots affecting the paving to my door. What's gonna happen in 4-5 years time. 

3. I was reading trees should be planted minimum of 4m from a house.

4. Additionally my neighbour has planted a row of Laurels inches from my external side of house (my semi-detached house faces their garden). I was reading bushes should be 4 feet from a house foundation.

If it's not going to cause any damage I'm not bothered. But if there is a risk then thousands of £££ is not worth a tree.

Does anyone have any experience / insight to tree root damage?

Thanks in advance.

261461343_RootsNearHouse.jpg

Just to explain the picture as I could only post one:

The right of the picture has the border fence and timber post. Adjacent to that is a 4m tree.

There's another x4 paving slabs below the lifted one (not in picture). They have become staggered. 

The paving slabs on the left (not in picture) are level and fine.

713726634_RootsSurface.jpg

1 hour ago, Williams said:

I started preparing a foundation for a large shed build.

These are some really good questions.

Yes you'll read a lot about trees, their roots and also some horror stories.

In some ways.. I think that there may be two issues here. One is that your neighbour has planted a tree that could overshaddow say your garden when it grows  without thinking of the consequences. Folk do this.. they like a kind of tree and don't realise how it can impact on their neighbours. Also the hedge..

For you, your first step maybe is to maybe think about how simplistically trees grow, large shrubs are different a bit . Trees that grow big (tall) need some deep roots, they stop them blowing over in the wind. They have other roots that gather nutrients and water and these are close to the surface and spread a long way. They follow the path where they can expand and are close to the surface.. hence why you see these roots under your slabs.. you may have a nice bit of sand bed that encourages the roots to spread, there will also be some very fine roots. The funny thing is that as you have slabs the roots have no competition from weeds and other plants.. you can't blame the tree for taking advantage of this. These secondary and tertiary roots seek out nutriants.

To get a handle on this identify the type of tree. Decide if you like it, could be a say a cherry / hornbeam that flowers and looks great / stunning! Could add to you enjoyment of your garden even if not in your ground.

If you try and understand how the tree grows, the kind of soil you have and where you live ( Kent or Shetland diiferent rainfall) then you may be in a much better place to manage not just the tree but your neighbours!

Now the laurels are a bit different! They are not that fast gowing but they are sturdy! I think.

Again though your best approach is to start with understanding the ground and one tree. Engage with your neighbours. You could say.. what do we need these trees for. Do you want privacy? But I too want privacy.. but don't want my house damaged!

I may come over as a bit soft here but what you are doing is to establish the facts and groundwork should this escalate into a dispute that you need to involve say an SE. It could be a case of stick and carrot here.

The best way is to use persuasion. if that does not work then further persuasion with a hint that you may hold a big stick!

Edited by Gus Potter
  • Like 1

Before we can say more we do need, as Gus says, to know more.

Type of tree, and nature of the ground.

Conifer...ususly no structural problem but lots of needles and mess.

Deciduous...can vary from small up to 25m, with as much in the ground (over and under your house) 

The roots near the surface are usually much finer than this, but I guess the lack of competition is encouraging this growth.

Generally if you cut away or through more than 1/4 of the surface (feeding) roots the tree will die.

Once we know the type of tree we can predict its eventual size, and effect on your house..that may affect the most appropriate treatment.

If you don't know tree types then a photo of it, plus of the leaves and the bark would help.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

If you don't know tree types then a photo of it, plus of the leaves and the bark would help.

Spot on..

Yes it is an inner city garden but there is often no need for panic.

If neighbours get together and are of like mind then you can do a lot and not trash your founds or patio.

My neighbour over the road has just astroturfed their back garden.. and the number of jobs I'm starting to see where they have done this.. is not good when you take in aggregate.