Microinverter not reporting

Bitpipe

I have a 12 panel PV system, went live Jan 2016. Recently noticed one of the MIs is not reporting.

Generation seems unaffected but can’t get it back online.

Have tried resetting the enphase unit and cycling power to the array.

Called and emailed original installer but not sure they’re still active.

Any ideas?

54B77421-B908-4D7A-A98A-634833FF68DA.png

7E9BEE81-5CCB-42E2-9191-05ABBA24AC81.jpeg

6C5A0692-F47A-47AF-B562-97747C57FC70.jpeg

I have the same system.

I seem to recall that the microinverters came with a very long warranty - 20 or 25 years, I think. If you can't get in contact with the original installer, I guess the distributor is the next port of call?

Hi Bitpipe

I had a similar problem in early 2020 - it started a couple of months earlier but I did not spot it, until many of  the panels were failing to communicate with the Envoy module.  It was the original Enerphase Envoy Module which had failed. 

My original installation contractor, Techfor who are still in business, were able to monitor the unit remotely to diagnose that the unit had failed. Like you, all the PV panels were still producing.

The original Envoy is no longer available and i  replaced IT with an Envoy S Metered module, which has more functionality..  

4 hours ago, HerbJ said:

Hi Bitpipe

I had a similar problem in early 2020 - it started a couple of months earlier but I did not spot it, until many of  the panels were failing to communicate with the Envoy module.  It was the original Enerphase Envoy Module which had failed. 

My original installation contractor, Techfor who are still in business, were able to monitor the unit remotely to diagnose that the unit had failed. Like you, all the PV panels were still producing.

The original Envoy is no longer available and i  replaced IT with an Envoy S Metered module, which has more functionality..  

Yes, I used Techfor also so they are probably of the same vintage. Will try and contact them again..

Hi 

They're still active and usually responsive. I recommended them to someone last week and they have been helpful with him.

I replaced mine with the Envoy S Metered because they told me that the Envoy S (the direct replacement for the original Envoy) was only £80 cheaper than the Envoy S Metered. I have looked online and the difference seems to be about £150+. the difference is that the S Metered has to be hard wired with CT's as it monitors the imported electricity and is capable of monitoring a Enerphase battery installation as well.   If you don't need this, then the direct replacement may be OK and will be a easy direct swap. Have a look and see what you think?

They moved offices

Techfor Energy Ltd

Big Yellow Storage

Unit 1 Cobbett Park, 22 – 28 Moorfield Road

Slyfield Industrial Estate

Guildford,

Surrey,

GU1 1RU                                   

T:   (0800) 888 6544  

I dealt originally with was the Technical Director, Glenn Ashby -Mobile: 07968 098 995 and he is still involved. The person who helped with the replacement of the Envoy unit was George Sands.

Cheers

Herb

It's an Enerphase  problem with the original Envoy monitoring unit and, unfortunately, the warranty period was not the 25 years of the microinverters.

Apparently, the PV system performs quite happily without the monitoring unit but the data it provides is very useful.

Thanks for all the help!

I might wait and see if others stop reporting. The documented solution seems to be removing any sources of interference on the power supply used by the Enphase but nothing like that on mine.

13 hours ago, HerbJ said:

It's an Enerphase  problem with the original Envoy monitoring unit and, unfortunately, the warranty period was not the 25 years of the microinverters.

I know the Envoy unit isn't covered by the warranty, but at this stage it isn't confirmed that the Envoy is where the problem lies.

A single microinverter not reporting for some time seems more likely to be a microinverter problem than an Envoy problem. All the microinverters piggyback their data onto the same power connection, so it seems unusual for the Envoy to fail in such a way that it's suddenly unable to read data from just one of many microinverters.

Indeed, it might not actually be a microinverter failure. It could be that the connection at the microinverter has deteriorated enough that power still gets through, but the injected data is a bit too noisy for the Envoy to read. 

Hopefully Techfor can confirm what's actually gone wrong.

An interesting question is how they might deal with a warranty claim a long time after installation. Presumably they don't keep stocks of inverter models they no longer make, so how do they replace a failed microinverter that's 10, 15, or even 20 years old? Perhaps their later units are backwards compatible?

Let us know how you get on @Bitpipe. I'm interested to see what the problem is given how similar my own setup is.

1 hour ago, jack said:

Indeed, it might not actually be a microinverter failure. It could be that the connection at the microinverter has deteriorated enough that power still gets through, but the injected data is a bit too noisy for the Envoy to read. 

True, but in my case several microinverters (I have 14) failed to communicate properly and, then not at all, over a 2/3 month period. Enerphase carried out some remote monitoring and reported back as follows:

The tests for the Envoy R show us bad communication performance.
We advise you to purchase a new Envoy for this system.
Furthermoore, looks there is some noise on the power lines hampering the signal of the Envoy down to the inverters.
You can  install Ferrite Torrids on the wires as they feed into the breakers. These rings help filter out noise. You will need to install these rings on all of your breakers EXCEPT what's on the Envoy and what's on the solar (see attached doc).
The best way to solve this issue is to install a dedicated outlet at the sub panel where the solar feeds. More often than not, it corrects communications issues.

I couldn't understand how there was suddenly "noise" on the power lines after the system operating quite happily on the same newly installed system for 4 years without any problems. Also, no changes to internet provider or system. The Envoy was already supplied by a dedicated outlet, directly from the main board, in accordance with MI. I replaced the original Envoy R, as outlined above and no issues since February 2020. 

On the issue of warranty replacement of a microinverter, I suspect they will provide a replacement microinverter but not cover the cost of installing it in the system - labour, scaffolding for access, etc It's an interesting question, but let's hope it's not necessary.

Keep us updated @Bitpipe....

1 hour ago, HerbJ said:

True, but in my case several microinverters (I have 14) failed to communicate properly and, then not at all, over a 2/3 month period. Enerphase carried out some remote monitoring and reported back as follows: 

We seem to be talking at cross purposes. I'm talking solely about @Bitpipe's scenario, where only a single microinverter has stopped reporting. I'm just saying that it's premature to conclude that the problem is with the Envoy. 

1 hour ago, HerbJ said:

The tests for the Envoy R show us bad communication performance.

We advise you to purchase a new Envoy for this system.
Furthermoore, looks there is some noise on the power lines hampering the signal of the Envoy down to the inverters.
I couldn't understand how there was suddenly "noise" on the power lines after the system operating quite happily on the same newly installed system for 4 years without any problems. Also, no changes to internet provider or system. The Envoy was already supplied by a dedicated outlet, directly from the main board, in accordance with MI. I replaced the original Envoy R, as outlined above and no issues since February 2020. 

I don't know how they can remotely tell the difference between noise on the powerlines and an issue with the Envoy (e.g., one or more components in the input filter of the Envoy deteriorating or failing). The fact that the replacement Envoy solved the problem without other changes suggests noise was not the core issue.

1 hour ago, HerbJ said:

On the issue of warranty replacement of a microinverter, I suspect they will provide a replacement microinverter but not cover the cost of installing it in the system - labour, scaffolding for access, etc It's an interesting question, but let's hope it's not necessary.

I looked into this when considering whether to go the microinverter route in 2015, and you're right, it's just the unit that gets replaced under warranty. In my case, it's easy to get onto the flat roof for access without the need for scaffolding, so I concluded it wouldn't be a big issue if I did need to make a warranty claim.

My main question was really whether they keep a stock of old models on their shelves for 20+ years for warranty purposes, or ensure that their newer models are backwards compatible. Most likely the latter, I'd have thought.