External fire rated door for attached garage-extension

I am looking for some help please, I have had a two storey extension and the bottom is split into a utility area and a "garage". It's too small for a car and will only ever be used for storage etc but it's being classed as a garage.

The side entrance door to be used for access to the rear garden without going through the house is around 700mm from the neighbours fence, I think thats the reason BC want a fire rated door there.

I have looked at PVC but thats very expensive as apparently it needs to be a special composite material, the steel ones are around £500 with delivery so I will most likely fit a wooden lining and door.

I called a local supplier and they can supply me with a lining but no certificate as they dont test them, I imagine it will cost more to get a certified one which I think BC will insist on ( Have tried to contact BC but no reply from them as yet )

I have been looking around online for how to fit an external door lining and it doesnt look as straight forward as I first thought, It lloks like I may have to account for thermal bridging.

Can anyone tell me how I fit an external fire rated door lining please?  Do I need to do more than simply atatch the lining to the wall? I have an insulated cavity closer in place but thats all, it's just an opening in the wall at this point.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Paul

image.thumb.png.0d95c218f1aa87a639781d735032ac84.png

Take care not to get your backside burnt. It's easy to do 😀.

On topic, I think that a lower priced steel one may be a better option - someone here may know of a smaller or more wholesale supplier. 

TBH I'm not sure if a wooden door liner will cut it, unless you have that explicitly from the person who regulates it

Ferdinand

* I'll edit that title in a minute. 

• Like 1

• Ferdinand changed the title to External fire rated door for attached garage-extension

700mm is an uncomfortable access route, door will have to open inwards and yes it needs to be a full spec fire door and frame. Unless you are ok with an industrial looking steel door and frame then you will have to bite the bullet.

• Like 1