Internal glass panelled wall with sliding door

JohnSW

I need to divide across a large room (3 high metres x 3 wide), with a glass panelled structure. Reduce the costs by doing most of it myself unless someone can suggest off the shelf item that I can adapt and bolt together. The local building merchant has carpentry workshop which could put rebates onto the cross members and uprights so I can glaze once up. I just don't know how wide the struts should be to secure the structure, and carry the weight of single glazing, sliding door etc., Even the type of joints at the cross sections is open to question for strength and accuracy. 
It is impotant to have a lot of glass so the light from both ends of the room is not reduced lost.
I imagine nine panels and a door the size of two panels. 
The illustation is from a high quality metal framed product that costs well over £2K, so I'm optimistically hoping for a solution in wood that I can do for myself.

panel wall.JPG

No need for rebates unless you are a skilled joiner/cabinet maker, simple frame with halving joints at intersections, add glazing strips afterwards. Glass is going to be the expensive part as it needs to be toughened. Glass doors can be bought online, ladt one I did I ordered off eBay or glassandstainless.com

actually I have a 10mm thick toughened door at home (Barnsley)

Edited by markc

Thanks for that Markc, it is always a pleasure to learn that it can be accompished easier than expected. So, would the glass be large sheets attached through to the wooden structure instead of individual panels?

4 minutes ago, JohnSW said:

Thanks for that Markc, it is always a pleasure to learn that it can be accompished easier than expected. So, would the glass be large sheets attached through to the wooden structure instead of individual panels?

Still individual panes fitted into the frame, 

image.jpg

Google "Faux Crittall" for some more ideas. You can glue dividing strips onto glazing panels for simplicity. I expect you would really like to know how wide to make the timber components for strength. Take a look at the skiniest off-the-shelf doors and window frames for the absolute maximum required. Can you perhaps adapt something in the way of off-the-shelf doors? 

Problem with going with off the shelf window and door frame dimensions is the glass door, it’s size and thickness makes a massive difference to the bending moment on the frame, also which side it is hinged on. Happy to give frame section suggestions once you know the door size and weight.

for instance, the door I mentioned earlier weights around 90 kgs, much more than a fire door 

1 hour ago, markc said:

Problem with going with off the shelf window and door frame dimensions is the glass door, it’s size and thickness makes a massive difference to the bending moment on the frame, also which side it is hinged on. Happy to give frame section suggestions once you know the door size and weight.

for instance, the door I mentioned earlier weights around 90 kgs, much more than a fire door 

Very true. Is your 10mm glass the norm now? I had fully glazed internal doors in a house built in 1987 and they were around 6mm from memory.

18 minutes ago, Radian said:

Very true. Is your 10mm glass the norm now? I had fully glazed internal doors in a house built in 1987 and they were around 6mm from memory.

Whenever I want a frameless glass door or screen I go for 10mm minimum