Cold roof with no VCL? Can I have spotlights?

Mattsville

On 09/04/2023 at 21:22, Eric said:

Have you got any photos of this? I will need lights in the near future for vaulted ceilings.

65346CEE-8828-4E3F-BDC8-4BCA6C22E174.thumb.jpeg.82a43ee018641bf3ead1a237a9de4851.jpeg7BEC3CD0-8833-424D-B350-57B8FE06B230.thumb.jpeg.f9182b0d13ae57f39df9168a08d093f2.jpeg

I do a lot of lighting design, and these are great for lighting the vaulted sections.

Look on the Tornado lighting website for the full range of plaster-in flush / trim-less stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.408174125b35c442d9965cb8b840bc5c.png

image.thumb.png.f5079a9f1af3996c1ec265d9f5939854.png

image.thumb.png.1364eadb08e76d64379cd710e2964a70.png

The downstairs ones in plaster, as they needed to be made airtight ( as they had to be recessed eg cut into the wood crete ) but the upstairs ones above I cut in after the plastering and painting ( mist coats ) were done. I then, personally, cut these in, mechanically fixed them with off cuts of plywood , sealed and foamed the cavity behind ( injected in after fixing the lights into place ), and then Toupret filler a-plenty. 
I let that all cure overnight, then sanded and painted to check for any imperfections. 
👌👍😎

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Iceverge said:

It was the placement of the lights I was thinking. 

Nothing says "please stab me with your trowel" more than holding your phone torch at a shallow angle against some fresh skim......

On 14/04/2023 at 10:53, Nickfromwales said:

:D

Not my plasterer. Guy is a legend.

Coventry based, but will travel a reasonable distance. If anyone needs a shit-hot plasterer, let me know by PM.

;) 

If you have a good spread, and the "painter" is actually a "decorator" ( not some goon with a brush and a roller and FA else in the boot of their Ford Fiesta ) then you'll attain excellent results. 

Folk still assume everything will be great, instead of making sure. On this job I spoke with the plasterer and explained to him what the lighting plan was, on behalf of the clients, and he used a 900mm speed skim 'trowel' to make the plaster in these locations absolutely spot-on. His work was pretty much the same standard throughout, anyways, in fairness, but he was approachable enough to agree to go the extra mile where the lights would be shining directly onto / up the plasterwork.

I was going to speak to the painter to ask that he pole-sanded these areas after the mist coat. He was an unapproachable angry cock, and I don't think he actually owned a pole sander, so that project relied heavily on the plasterer. 

The painter used an unfixed WC pan as a step-stool, subsequently leant over and went arse over tit, smashing the pan to bits. He then blamed the job, the site, the fact that he had to share the property with other humans, blamed me for not having "fixed the WC pan properly, which was why it got broken", covered it with a dustsheet, and then threw his toys onto the pile of dummies he'd previously spat out, and left. "Bye, miss you already".

I didn't ask for his contact details to recommend him to future clients.