Mystery Cable

mike2016

While excavating for a new paved driveway I encountered two strange black 1/2 cables. One appears empty and I have the loose end and there's no sign of anything inside. The other is running into the side of the building. Would it be electrical in nature or a phone line or something like that? I'd assume the main armoured electricity cable is routed internally after feeding into the utility box in the side of the house? I have a good view of that, it's much bigger. Thanks. 

cable strange.jpg

The house is 25 years old so there's one main broadband duct for virgin media/sky etc. There was PSTN/old telephone lines in the past so maybe it's to do with that but where it's coming from I don't know but that's my best guess currently! 

Nothing I can see on the cable itself, the path is a bit strange curving outward from the house, would need to big a bit to see where it's going. Am going to be tracing the broadband cable today so digging will be focused there as I need to tee off this for the new house. Just curiosity more so....!