Beginning the long journey, and lots of questions

Kelvasco

Hello all,

We’re close to finishing a mild renovation of a bungalow & now wish to move on to planning the next steps. I was looking to see what peoples thoughts were on the below open questions that I’m a little stuck with.

1. is outline planning permission worth doing vs a full application? I’m starting to think Outline planning will allow me to focus the planners on specific non-combative topics such as flood risk, access & acceptability rather than also adding in lots about the design.

2. Can you re-use previous applications data + documents if you didn’t commission them? Previous owner applied for planning in 2014 (withdrawn due to numerous issues ) which has great site maps (with A.O.D’s), tree survey & a flood assessment that would certainly make life easier if reusing.

3. Access, has anyone separated land & reused the current access for the new plot while adding a new access for the existing property? Our current accesses has a blind side (due to a small curve in the road combined with high neighbouring hedge line) which I want to use for the new property without changing & then add a new access (which won’t have issues) to the current property. This will, I hope, make the arguement of existing access not changing therefore splay testing not required for the new property. Anyone have similar experiences? 

also, apologies for the lost post. I feel I’ll be posting a significant amount in the coming months so any support is much appreciated.

Edited by Kelvasco

Hi @Kelvasco

In order of your questions.

1. do you have a time frame for getting the permission or starting building. We are a listed building but the new build is outside the curtilage even so we thought that full plans show exactly what we wanted to build.  Outline planning doesn’t always clear up problems first as planning departments change staff and if your design is not what they want in your area you could waste a lot of time doing outline first. 
3. We have a shared drive for 2 properties up until 2006 it was for 3 properties so you would have thought that a new build using the same drive (same no of beds as 2006 property) wouldn’t be a problem. But planning department are looking at splay as they don’t like it. The splay probably dates back to the early 1900’s.  We have space for fire engine to turn so tick that box and was ok for listed property conversion in 2000 but apparently times have changed as have motorists.  If you can give the new property the new access that might be easier. We don’t own the land at the splay so we can not change ours can you improve on your splay.

good luck and welcome to the forum 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2022 at 13:42, Kelvasco said:

3. Access, has anyone separated land & reused the current access for the new plot while adding a new access for the existing property? Our current accesses has a blind side (due to a small curve in the road combined with high neighbouring hedge line) which I want to use for the new property without changing & then add a new access (which won’t have issues) to the current property. This will, I hope, make the arguement of existing access not changing therefore splay testing not required for the new property. Anyone have similar experiences? 

The planners may decide that the existing access is too dangerous to allow twice as much traffic. If so then stress that the planning application will not result in an increase in traffic through the existing entrance. This should be in the Design and Access statement you submit with the planning application.

Can you provide a visibility splay for the new entrance? If so then I would include the new entrance on the planning application.

If you can't provide a visibility splay then more info needed... I don't think you always need planning permission to form a new entrance. It depends on what class the road is? A, B, unclassified?  However you may also need Dropped Kerb Permission. This isn't just to lower the kerb. It also includes legal permission to drive over any footpath. So what class is the road and is there a verge or footpath? Does the highway extend right to your boundary?

Edited by Temp

On 08/07/2022 at 13:42, Kelvasco said:

Can you re-use previous applications data + documents if you didn’t commission them? Previous owner applied for planning in 2014 (withdrawn due to numerous issues ) which has great site maps (with A.O.D’s), tree survey & a flood assessment that would certainly make life easier if reusing.

No unfortunately, at least not without a licence from the author of the works.  The council have made it a public document by putting it up on the internet. But it turns out there are limits with what can do lawfully with that. Worth reading this:
https://www.dacbeachcroft.com/en/gb/articles/2022/march/copyright-in-architectural-drawings-what-does-planning-permission-permit/

Edited by Adsibob