11 hours ago, markocosic said:

Thanks for the stainless teachings!

Attic fans not uncommon in some southern US states. Good searching fodder there on costs and benefits / consequences.

I’ve spent nearly 20yrs welding stainless, mostly for the marine and hospital/catering industry. Trying to keep the performance of the original material, post welding, is always a challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2022 at 15:05, Marvin said:

Decided to fit an anti gravity valve....  this will be fun!

20220708_150043.thumb.jpg.761f5e5dfde05395e69d980fdd07e8cd.jpg

Must put it in facing the right direction....

I held my tongue when I first read this but I can't help wondering how sensitive is this valve to orientation?  I can see that flow in the wrong direction will tend to close the flap but the valve could be mounted vertically so that gravity, via the weight of the flap, could tend to open it.  Could you reach a state of equilibrium where the valve remains slightly open and allows a little back flow or is that not going to happen?  Or could it be so wide open that a sudden burst of reverse flow could fail to close it?  

Edited by ReedRichards

Hi @ReedRichards

2 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

I held my tongue when I first read this but I can't help wondering how sensitive is this valve to orientation? 

Obviously its designed to use gravity. I have it horizontal.The internal flap sits almost vertically.

I can see that flow in the wrong direction will tend to close the flap but the valve could be mounted vertically so that gravity, via the weight of the flap, could tend to open it.

Yes it could but I have no vertical pipe between the buffer tank and the 28mm tee. 

Could you reach a state of equilibrium where the valve remains slightly open and allows a little back flow or is that not going to happen?  Or could it be so wide open that a sudden burst of reverse flow could fail to close it?  

I think both could happen, the latter most unlikely, but neither reliably.

Since installing the valve the hot water tank heat loss has greatly improved.

However, the buffer tank now heats up due to the radiator pipes sitting in the hot loft, so another job to do....