Which way to point your panels.

SteamyTea

“(The) addition of a physical battery energy storage to the energy system was found to increase self-sufficiency from 20 to 30 percentage points for the houses under study,” the academics said. “The peak power capacity of the solar PV installation was observed to be a significant factor for determining the amount of self-sufficiency increase obtained by the use of a battery energy storage, with the increase being higher for larger solar PV installations.”

But given the current power price scenario in Finland, the deployment of lithium-ion batteries for residential applications is not yet economically feasible, they concluded.

“An increase in price for electricity import, of which the price of transmission is the most significant and prone to rise, would improve the profitability of an investment in a physical battery storage,” they said.

The highlighted bits interested me.

So much as I observe for a typical house install, batteries to not yet make sense unless you are a larger than typical array size.

I am still surprised with the 2022 electricity price, that battery viability has not got better.

and I am staggered that transmission costs are what they think will rise prices further, erm no I think that's Mr Putin that will do that.

Just now, ProDave said:

Which implies UK prices are much higher than theirs.  WHY?

Because they nearly always are. It is understandable for services, as uk wages and cost of living are higher than many. But for materials there has always been an uplift in crossing the channel. Because they can. Electricity crosses the channel too, this way only.

Finland high wages and very high tax on earnings, same when buying vehicles - super high tax.  But most other things like fuel not so bad tax. 

We have moderate wages, not that high tax on wages, but everything else is taxed to death, except vehicles.