Anyone understand what is needed for archaeological works ??

RobRS2

Still waiting for planning approval, 4 months over agreed date. But in the comments are some from the archaeological society. We have been told there may be medieval remains to do with an old mill bulding that may have exsisted near our property.

What they have sited is the extract below. Can anyone explain what they want or is this something they will make up??  sorry it long but i have cut it down and it is as written. They appear to just repeat themself, i think is just a poor copy and paste job. 

Rob

The requested archaeological works can be secured by conditions upon the development. I set out the proposed wording of these conditions below: Recording of a heritage asset through a programme of historic building recording A) No demolition/development shall take place until a programme of historic building recording including a Written Scheme of Investigation has been submitted to and approved by the local planning authority in writing. The scheme shall include an assessment of significance and research questions; and:

1. The programme and methodology of site investigation and recording

2. The programme for post investigation assessment

3. Provision to be made for analysis of the site investigation and recording

4. Provision to be made for publication and dissemination of the analysis and records of the site investigation

5. Provision to be made for archive deposition of the analysis and records of the site investigation

6. Nomination of a competent person or persons/organisation to undertake the works set out within the Written Scheme of Investigation.

B) No demolition/development shall take place other than in accordance with the Written Scheme of Investigation approved under condition

(A).C) The condition shall not be discharged the historic building recording has been completed in accordance with the programme set out in the Written Scheme of Investigation approved under condition (A) and the provision made for analysis, publication and dissemination of results and archive deposition has been secured.

This condition is derived from a model recommended to the Planning Inspectorate by the Association of Local Government Archaeology Officers. Recording of a heritage asset through a programme of archaeological works A) No demolition/development shall take place/commence until a programme of archaeological work including a Written Scheme of Investigation has been submitted to and approved by the local planning authority in writing.

The scheme shall include an assessment of significance and research questions; and:

1. The programme and methodology of site investigation and recording

2. The programme for post investigation assessment

3. Provision to be made for analysis of the site investigation and recording

4. Provision to be made for publication and dissemination of the analysis and records of the site investigation

5. Provision to be made for archive deposition of the analysis and records of the site investigation

6. Nomination of a competent person or persons/organisation to undertake the works set out within the Written Scheme of Investigation.

B) No demolition/development shall take place other than in accordance with the Written Scheme of Investigation approved under condition

(A). C) The condition shall not be discharged until the site investigation and post investigation assessment has been completed in accordance with the programme set out in the Written Scheme of Investigation approved under condition (A) and the provision made for analysis, publication and dissemination of results and archive deposition has been secured. This condition is derived from a model recommended to the Planning Inspectorate by the Association of Local Government Archaeology Officers

Edited by RobRS2

Oh and i have photographic proof the whole rear of my property was excavated down by approximately 2.5 to 3 meters in the 60's to flattern of the rear garden (Location of the dig area they want)  if that makes any difference.

Looks like a pretty standard request from a consulted.  You don't have to do anything unless the planners take it on board and make it a planning condition.  I'd give the planners and the archeological society the info you have on the site history to help them make an informed decision as to the benefits of an investigation.  Best to avoid a planning condition being imposed if you can, but if not, it's not usually a show-stopper!

On 14/06/2022 at 02:36, RobRS2 said:

Oh and i have photographic proof the whole rear of my property was excavated down by approximately 2.5 to 3 meters in the 60's to flattern of the rear garden (Location of the dig area they want)  if that makes any difference.

I would write to the planners copy the archaeological society pointing out that the site was excavated with the photos.

We had to pay quite a bit just for a watching brief while a water main was diverted. A full dig can make a project unviable.

A few years ago we just had to pay the local archaeological society and couple of hundred pounds and one of their volunteers would turn up on site from time to time and chat to the groundworkers.  Now we are asked to get a professional archaeologist to do a written scheme of investigation submit it for approval, log and record any findings and get the final report approved as part of a planning condition.  Beware if they find a fragment of tile or brick older than a couple of hundred years.