Tata Urban Colorcoat Metal Seam Roofing

3 hours ago, marsaday said:

Thought i would update this thread with info on my tata roof.

I am very happy with the roof, it looks really good.  It is a mono pitched roof at 12 degrees and covers about 42sqm.  There are just 3 tricky square window penetrations to over come.  Cost delivered was £3300 inc vat.

I did the free course and all was good, but coming to do the roof is a bit more hair tugging than they portray.  The roof went on ok, but the square penetration flashings are hard.  

The instructions are very poor and photos really hard to follow.  Videos are really needed.  Anyway i had a bit of luck as last week the main technical guy said he would come over as he was in my town doing a course and had a free day to kill.  So he's been this morning and was a really big help.  

I can now weather proof the roof fully.

However, there are a few niggles.

I am short of 2 tubes of silicone and 100 self tapping screws which are needed for these penetrations.  They didn't supply enough and it is not up to me how much to order, as they tell you what you need.  I would happily have paid for more screws etc at the initial stage.

I see this as their mistake and have asked for new screws and silicone to be sent at their cost seeing as i am loosing probably this week to get it water tight now.  So lost time and inconvenience.

The sales manager who i was dealing with referred it (yea right) and the computer said NO.

So i have a bill for £120 for 2 silicone and 100 screws.  I think the bill should actually be for £60 and i am waiting to see what they say.

The guy who was out today said they are not customer focused at all.  They have been deliberating about making some Utube videos about the install process for the last 10 years and no one will take it up.  Really strange as they need these videos making as they would sell loads more product !

Another sales guy is now leaving pretty quick and everyone is annoyed about it.  When on the course i did get the impression the place had that old nationalised industry feel about it.  

The product is good, but the service is not the best.  I was lucky to be getting this technical help so this wouldn't normally happen.

Don't pay Tata that bill, buy your own silicone and screws from Screwfix.

Product very good, sales and service poor. I would buy again after having fitted 300sqm though they did not supply enough Velux jointing fabs, no apology just another invoice.

Will update later. 

IMG_0969_(1).jpg

IMG_E0965.jpg

Edited by JamesP

The bill is even higher now.  £120 for 100 screws and 2 tubes of silicone.

I am really peed off and thinking about a small claims action.

I have sourced the silicone locally so that is sorted.  I have a load of tec screws from an old job so will use these.  

Speaking to the manager later today, but it sounds like their policy is designed to back themselves up if a mistake is made.  Not customer focused at all.  

Edited by marsaday

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comments on Tata and corrosion.  I gouged, cut and salted a panel of Tata Colorcoat Urban and left it outside for an entire winter, adding salt a couple of times over the period.  Under a magnifying glass we had no signs of corrosion, rust or other discoloration, which I can't qite believe myself, but does make me feel a lot more confident about using it on our build.