Gas supply vs smart gas meter

I have bought a property and this has a boiler and an immersion heater with a pump. If electric heater is off the boiler should heat the water as well.

I have reinstated the water pressure as the old vendor has drained the whole system. As long as I had these airlocks the boiler was complaining about lack of flow so I have released the remaining air using the valve near the tank / water pump the boiler no longer complaints about that but now it is not igniting.
I went to basics and wondering if the gas is actually flowing.

Couple days ago I have open the valve next to a gas meter then I also activated the gas smart meter. When I selected Emergency Credit it said something about "opening a valve" which took about a minute then an audible click. I thought everything is set but the boiler goes in circles and I don't smell any gas unlike I smell in the gas meter cabinet. There is this gas pipe for the cooker as well. I thought I try and see if gas is coming out of it and I pressed that ball inside the connector valve - nothing.
Are you aware of any other places I should look for?
This is not a big house that I would expect a series of gas valves. I assume the two valves in the gas cabinet are fine - 1st mechanical is in OPEN position, the one inside a smart meter has also opened up.

I have topped it up with £50 just in case this Emergency is not good.

Edited by JohnBishop

You will have a gas valve by meter and also under the boiler.  These both need to be open.

Has gas been cut off?

If you have just purchased the house things like boilers are normally covered by a short warranty by the seller.  Check with your solicitor.

30 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

If you have just purchased the house things like boilers are normally covered by a short warranty by the seller.  Check with your solicitor.

They are in Scotland for 5 days I think.

Why was the system drained down?  What did the pre sales enquiries say about the state of the heating system?

2 hours ago, JohnMo said:

You will have a gas valve by meter and also under the boiler.  These both need to be open.

Has gas been cut off?

Is this the valve? It's in a quite obscure location I would have to lie on the counter to twist this.

https://ibb.co/c6WMDvJ

I don't know if it has been cut off to the property, I don't know what can make them do that. The property was unoccupied I think for about a year.

The boiler has been serviced July 2020.

Edited by JohnBishop

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

They are in Scotland for 5 days I think.

Why was the system drained down?  What did the pre sales enquiries say about the state of the heating system?

Because this is a housing association they sold this property "as is" but I can see apart from walls the heating was properly maintained until the property was vacated and they have a procedure what to do before they leave it empty including draining the radiators and leave them open basically.

So I came, I shut all the radiators that have this drain valve near it, I have turn on the mains water, checked all the radiators for airlocks twice then I removed the final airlock near the water tank. When the boiler turns on the water pump upstairs also turns on.

Phone the gas company and enquire if the property has been disconnected. I wouldn't touch that nut in your photo, looks more like a plug than a valve.

Be aware than it can take a minute or more for any air to be purged from the pipes... But it does sound like you've no gas flow at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conor said:

Phone the gas company and enquire if the property has been disconnected. I wouldn't touch that nut in your photo, looks more like a plug than a valve.

Be aware than it can take a minute or more for any air to be purged from the pipes... But it does sound like you've no gas flow at all.

Yes, I have phoned up the gas emergency line as this gas smell in the outside cabinet is not something desirable. They come within 2h.
I reckon the gas is leaking from that dodgy looking valve. I smell the gas regardless if it's ON or OFF.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Get a safe gas registered person round to check it all.

The emergency came over and they found the old vendor put a cap on the supply but with no washer. I am looking into getting a local gas safety engineer to take off the cap to recommission the installation.