How high can you build internal block walls?

Andehh

We are going for internal bricks walls in our bungalow, and have some very tall ceilings.

This means some of the room walls, will be approx 3.5m tall floor to ceiling and will be single 100mm block thick. At worst they are 3m wide before they hit a corner or equiv bracing structure, all dot & dabbed with Plasterboard

Struc Eng has stipulated they are all tied into the ceiling every 1.2m with steel braces. He has also recommended they are not left unbraced pre-roof due to wind loads.

I am no builder or structural engineer & ignore experts at my peril.....but I cant help but feel thats a tall & narrow wall.

Am i over thinking this?!

I think you are OK...

Approved Document A..

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/structure-approved-document-a

I think you want Section 2C from page 13.

Paragraph 2C10 on page 14 says minimum thickness for an internal load bearing wall is..

("Specified thickness from table 3"/2) -5mm

Table 3 line 1 appears to give a figure of 190mm for a wall 3.5m high and upto 12m long.

(190/2)-5 = 90mm

So 100mm block should be OK.

If the wall is less than 9m long it appears it can be up to 9m tall before you need to make it thicker (Table 3 line 2).

• Thanks 1

The main issue will be keeping them upright if there is any strong wind. A single skin wall 3.5m high will wobble. 

It's going to need braced at some point. 

My wall in my hall is over 5m high and it was a tad scary at the top. It wasn't until I got the roof on and used wall plate straps that it felt solid. Overnight I  used scaffold planks with a few block on them and using a combination of kwikstage and trestles it managed to keep it from falling.

Thanks very much guys! Yeah, as it goes up the thought of "I'm sure if I pushed hard enough i could have it over' crossed my mind. 

I imagine sheer weight & then strapped at the top prevents the 'angle rise' of a block required for it to then go over once built. 

S. E. has recommended temp bracing in case of winds.