Missing Earth in the meter box

AliG

The electrician came along yesterday to connect up a site supply while they are building.

He says that there is no earth.

I messaged the DNO who installed the supply but then realised maybe it was the fault of the supplier who installed the meter.

So if there is no earth who should I speak to?

It's your responsibility to provide the earth. If you look up the standard detail for the temporary supply connection kiosk, it'll be there. I'm amazed the meter was installed as you're meant to have everything earthed and tested before that stage.  

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

Bit dated but..

https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/new-dwelling-temporary-supply.8926/

I have known NIE not to supply an earth if it is a temporary supply that has been requested. Therefore you may need to supply an earth electrode as in effect they will be giving you a TT system. Just one to be careful of as you will get charged for a recall if they refuse to connect.

it is not permitted to use pme for earthing on a building site.

Always TT until the final connections

https://www.groupga.co.uk/blog/safety-first-always-with-construction-site-temps/

The supply on a building site must not use a TN-C-S (PME) earthing system. This is due to the difficulty in bonding all exposed metal work on a construction site. The possibility of creating a potential to earth in the event of a fault is extremely high. A TN-S supply can be used only if a TT supply is not feasible (for example a construction site in a penthouse ).

Edited by Temp