Incoming mdpe depth

HughF

My service valve outlet is 400 below the front lawn, I’m looking to pull a new 25mm mdpe off this, run about 5m then bring it up inside my new porch (having gone under/through the porch footings). From there, a 25mm mlcp riser will go up to the bathroom and feed the rest of the house from there. The current 20mm mdpe goes into copper, somewhere, which then comes out of the kitchen slab. This copper is weeping at the ends and is due for replacement.

Any reason why I shouldn’t stick with 400mm deep off the service valve? I’m not in the north of Scotland, and we’ve never since 1946) had the service valve freeze up. I’ve got a digger, but it seems a total faff to go to 750 deep when the week point will always be the service valve depth.

I am in the North of Scotland and I reckon the shallowest cover on my mdpe is probably about 400. We've had some fairly cold days of about minus 10 or so with no bother.

I'd be more concerned about cover depth for mechanical damage.

• Like 1

We (Highland) have a natural spring, and mdpe running on the ground and over a burn, for about 600m. It doesn't freeze as long as it is running.

I must have been responsible for 50+ new water mains into new buildings, never put them deeper than -450 and no issues.

That is mostly in SE, but it can can be horribly cold sometimes.