Sign in to follow this  
Pete

Ducting for ashp

Further to ducting post, what size ducting have people used for the flow/return pipes for the ashp as we are not planning on fitting the pump straight away. We will see how the house performs so would like to put the ducting in place for future proofing.

TIA

I think I used 50mm polypropylene drainage pipe for mine.  Worked okay.

How are you planning to insulate?

Not looked at that yet but from previous post's would look at insulated pipe. Distance is about 7/8 metres each way. What type did you use and what diameter?

I used Rehau Rauvitherm twin 32 dia pre-insulated.

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not looked at that yet but from previous post's would look at insulated pipe. Distance is about 7/8 metres each way. What type did you use and what diameter?

As above, I used 50mm polypropylene drain pipe.  I then ran 28mm (from memory) Hep2O pipe for the actual ASHP connections.  If you use plastic, you must be sure to use the type with an oxygen-proof barrier.

This approach was relatively easy for us, because our runs were completely straight (except where they come out of the slab in the plant room), and ran within the EPS under our slab, so didn't need separate insulating.

Where is yours running?  Underground?

Ours is a raft design. So the pipes can be laid between the xps insulation that is within the house and then there will be a short run from where the pipes leave the house wall to the ashp, approx 1 to 2 metres.

The pre-insulated pipe has a relatively large Min Bend Radii. The Rehau stuff we used needed a 1m deep trench to come up vertically through the slab.

28mm pipe fits into 28/25mm Armaflex that feeds into 80mm duct ...

or 22mm pipe fits 22/25mm and 68mm rainwater

Both are DIY