Sliding Doors

Onoff

This one starts from a point of conflict! Bear with me whilst I have a rant!

SWMBO has decided the youngest needs a chill out zone / room. (I don't btw disagree). This is destined to be the single, large 'ish downstairs bedroom circa 4m x 3m on the North corner or the house. Currently known as the "playroom", it's stacked to the brim with the kids toys, floor to ceiling in crates and on shelves, it's just been building up like an American hoarder's dream for the last 20+ years where she throws FA away! :) They haven't been able to play in it for years. It also smells like there's a dead mouse/rat underneath in the floor space. The original carpet in there is basically dust when you lift it up and there's I think two double sockets and that's it. The room is in fact larger, probably 4x4m. There's a stud wall been built forming a corridor with a wc at the end. This is what I have:

plan-Model.thumb.jpg.ba2e71d010ec9c320b6d1f32976a59a1.jpg.2d23c65085f49a7897a4c22e3f567766.jpg

Not shown above is that you can in fact walk straight from the hall to the WC corridor. Playroom door to the immediate left in the stud wall. This from way back when I had to replace the water main and re-route the single pipe CH around the bathroom refurb. This taken standing in the hall looking up the corridor:

SAM_1375

My plan was to gut it. Ceilings down, suspended floors got shot of, corridor a tad wider, build back up with UFH, internal wall insulation, new electrics etc. Then a new doorway in from the hall, block access from hall to corridor. Then divide the corridor into an ensuite possibly with shower and walk in wardrobe.

So it'd look something like this, new doorway in from the hall:

IMG_20190728_093421887

Considering this will likely become our bedroom as we get older it seemed like a good idea but oh no! I'd take too long, blah, blah, blah. Usual b@ll@cks. Instead of having some vision and idea about futureproofing we're doing things piecemeal! :( Instead of sitting down, budgetting then just clearing the place out and going for it in one hit.....

Rant over.....we're going with her plan. I couldn't really give a to$$ as she's turning into the MiL but here goes:

3300mm between walls. 2650mm top of floorboards to u/s of ceiling. Rough plan is to drop a little framework screwed up into the ceiling joists above and have 2440mm high, 18mm thick MDF doors. A shhet weights just over 30KG. I need some cheap door gear and rails, any suggestions as to supplier? Is top hung / suspended or rolling on a bottom track best? I do actually have some old rollers of a sliding lorry curtain...wonder if they would fit inside some Unistrut. This needs to be quick and dirty so I can get up the pub:

2047847334_Screenshot2022-04-28113246.jpg.848ab180340093b1d419e36e30677ba6.jpg

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

This one starts from a point of conflict! Bear with me whilst I have a rant!

SWMBO has decided the youngest needs a chill out zone / room. (I don't btw disagree). This is destined to be the single, large 'ish downstairs bedroom circa 4m x 3m on the North corner or the house. Currently known as the "playroom", it's stacked to the brim with the kids toys, floor to ceiling in crates and on shelves, it's just been building up like an American hoarder's dream for the last 20+ years where she throws FA away! :) They haven't been able to play in it for years. It also smells like there's a dead mouse/rat underneath in the floor space. The original carpet in there is basically dust when you lift it up and there's I think two double sockets and that's it. The room is in fact larger, probably 4x4m. There's a stud wall been built forming a corridor with a wc at the end. This is what I have:

plan-Model.thumb.jpg.ba2e71d010ec9c320b6d1f32976a59a1.jpg.2d23c65085f49a7897a4c22e3f567766.jpg

Not shown above is that you can in fact walk straight from the hall to the WC corridor. Playroom door to the immediate left in the stud wall. This from way back when I had to replace the water main and re-route the single pipe CH around the bathroom refurb. This taken standing in the hall looking up the corridor:

SAM_1375

My plan was to gut it. Ceilings down, suspended floors got shot of, corridor a tad wider, build back up with UFH, internal wall insulation, new electrics etc. Then a new doorway in from the hall, block access from hall to corridor. Then divide the corridor into an ensuite possibly with shower and walk in wardrobe.

So it'd look something like this, new doorway in from the hall:

IMG_20190728_093421887

Considering this will likely become our bedroom as we get older it seemed like a good idea but oh no! I'd take too long, blah, blah, blah. Usual b@ll@cks. Instead of having some vision and idea about futureproofing we're doing things piecemeal! :( Instead of sitting down, budgetting then just clearing the place out and going for it in one hit.....

Rant over.....we're going with her plan. I couldn't really give a to$$ as she's turning into the MiL but here goes:

3300mm between walls. 2650mm top of floorboards to u/s of ceiling. Rough plan is to drop a little framework screwed up into the ceiling joists above and have 2440mm high, 18mm thick MDF doors. A shhet weights just over 30KG. I need some cheap door gear and rails, any suggestions as to supplier? Is top hung / suspended or rolling on a bottom track best? I do actually have some old rollers of a sliding lorry curtain...wonder if they would fit inside some Unistrut. This needs to be quick and dirty so I can get up the pub:

2047847334_Screenshot2022-04-28113246.jpg.848ab180340093b1d419e36e30677ba6.jpg

No !

No!

Finish all the other jobs first !

Tempted to contact DIYSoS for you 😂

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, pocster said:

No !

No!

Finish all the other jobs first !

Tempted to contact DIYSoS for you 😂

You don't understand! Clear the room, any room, back to bare bones and it should be easy and quick. Like the bathroom...

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Simplysimon said:

so where does she get this idea?

'Cos she's mental like her late mother. I want to dig the floor up in the stairs room. Can I just do half the floor she says! 

Given a clear run just watch me! :)

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

'Cos she's mental like her late mother. I want to dig the floor up in the stairs room. Can I just do half the floor she says! 

Given a clear run just watch me! :)

oh right, it's everyone using the bathroom holding you back.....

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Let them use the 6kW body drier you tight bastard. 

It's 8.5 / 9kW...

Why haven't I connected that? Well, she's filled (and I mean filled) the loft space where I need to run the conduit to the cu. If I bring it up it's "Can't you work around it?"

"No, FO!" 

It's a big deal to move it out of the way apparently. Moans like f*** about my tools being in the house but won't commit to me building a decent workshop. I think it's a control thing. If there were no tools she'd have nothing to moan about. Imagine everytime I want to sand something I have to shift a pillar drill, band saw, drill boxes and welder just to open a site box.

Her poor old man longed for a decent shed but the MiL always vetoed it. Like Howard from Last Of The Summer Wine but with no Marina on the horizon! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...