Solar energy, planning ahead, what cable size?

When we are laying drainage in about 6 weeks, it would be sensible to do any other ducting and cabling to avoid digging it all up again.

Whether we do solar panels sooner or later , it is likely that we will, and these will be on gantries about 25m from the building.

Is it better simply to lay a cable that is big enough (or even a bit over-specified), or to lay a duct, at more expense but reducing risk?

I am guessing that the technical stuff could go in the nearby (also future) garage instead of in the house.

I always thought of ducting as expensive, especially when the electric company specifies it, but was recently told it was cheap if our own private cable.

It was something to do with heat build-up in the duct I think.

Haven't chosen an electrician yet.

3 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

over 9m2 and not on a building.

Thanks, I will check on that. Perhaps 9m2 in the open and more on the garage.

Or get the PP.

By gantry I meant steel fames to tilt the panels at the sun. like this image.jpeg.d75e6c27eb49a47a7caa35aafc6c1d6e.jpeg

Anyone know why the electric companies insist on very expensive ducting? 

so homework done, It simply needs this?

50/63mm Class 3 Electric Cable Black Ducting Coil (50m)

I have seen cables stuck (not pulling through) inside officially supplied duct, using a winch, due to very slight wobbles in the line that caused it to stick. Hence my caution.

I think the cable was rather heavy though.

I used some spare MVHR duct to run cables 25m out to my shed recently. We pulled a 6mm SWA, a multicore Hituff, a cat5, and a drawcord, all through in one go with no hassles whatsoever, and that included one slow bend and 2x 90deg soil bends too...

• Like 2