What is the relevance or consequence of Question 7 on the VAT refund form please?

If there is a massive gap between you moving in and claiming your vat back 

They May refuse your claim 

In saying that we had been in five months before we where signed off

Our friends have been in ten months and still not signed off 

Due to Covid I don’t think they will have a problem with there claim

1 hour ago, Dmax build said:

Does anyone know the relevance or consequence of question 7 on the VAT reclaim form please?. 

7. Date you occupied the building

Thanks

I believe you may need to have 10 posts before you can access the VAT Reclaim Queries & Guidance sub-forum, but it has a lot of discussions about the risks of claiming VAT after you've lived in the house for a while.

For a while there, HMRC was outright rejecting claims from self-builders who'd lived in their house for even only a few months before claiming, even if they claimed within three months of obtaining a completion certificate. I get the impression the tide is turning following HMRC losing some tribunal cases last year, but it's still something you need to be mindful of.

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Is there a reason for that?

I don't specifically recall. It may have been to do with wanting to let people post about their general tax situation without it being visible to casual visitors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnMo said:

But obviously you don't move in until complete.

There are a number of tribunal cases where HMRC looked up the date a new build was added to the council tax valuation list and used that as the date of completion. 

10 hours ago, jack said:

I don't specifically recall. It may have been to do with wanting to let people post about their general tax situation without it being visible to casual visitors. 

What a damn good idea. Whoever sorted that one out: thanks very much

• Like 1