solar shading Microlouvre?

Living in our build for over 5 years now (is that still a new build?) and turning to first cycle of maintenance.

Internal painting, quotes on way. Check. Cleaning drains / gutters. Check

We have approx 20m2 of South and West facing glazing. Great in the winter as the light and solar gain is very welcome. But last summer we got too hot indoors, despite running the ASHP to cool. A large patio umbrella has helped, it partially shades 2 of the glazed areas. But...

Googling I came across this product, Microlouvre. https://www.smartlouvre.com/ It looks great, I could clip it on to the windows, externally, around April or may and remove it in aug or sept and store in the garage.

A sample arrived and it looks good, permitting a view out while completely blocking sun from about 40 degrees up.

Anyone got any experience? Not priced it yet...

Alternatives I looked at:

• External solar film. Not removable and reduces light and solar gain in winter.
  • External roller blinds. To be effective for solar shade they pretty much block the views and light. V expensive for electrical control.
  • Light sails, awnings, brise soleil. Don't like the big overhang, not practical in our build. V expensive for electrical control.
  • Fixed slats. Already have this on one window, works well. Other half not keen. Plus impractical for glazed doors.
Edited by ragg987
tidy up post

4 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

But our internet dish points to the top of it so we have line of sight from our roof.

Can you pick up on the University broadband?

I was there last Sunday, B&Q, getting a saw to chop some branches off.

Ages ago (maybe 1970's) a rep gave me some samples of micro-louvered plastic sheet. It was around 1.5mm thick and had vanishingly thin black stripes embedded in it at around 1mm spacing. Looked like magic. Totally Black a few 10's of degrees off axis, totally transparent on perpendicular axis. Never found a use for it but realize now that it would be amazing  for retrofitting to glazing.

We’re probably going to use the same microlouvre for our three easterly facing windows that don’t have external blinds. 

22 hours ago, ragg987 said:

I could clip it on to the windows, externally, around April or may and remove it in aug or sept

I was under the impression that once fitted, they stayed in place?

I imagine that they would be quite vulnerable to accidental damage stored in a garage or do you not think that would be the case?

The website shows they have a removable option. You may be right about vulnerability, I intend calling them next week to discuss. I wonder if they have a roll up option rather than rigid frame? That way I can store them in a box, assuming I don't damage then whilst handling!

I've looked at some solar calculators, and the sun is below 40 degrees most of the winter and into the shoulder months. An option might be just to leave them on and settle for the reduction in solar gain. Don't know.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

My parents had some solar net curtains in their old house.

Fitted inside the window? I understood placed inside it was more a case of heat diffusion rather than keeping it out? I.e. avoid the direct sunlight on your furniture.

4 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Fitted inside the window? I understood placed inside it was more a case of heat diffusion rather than keeping it out? I.e. avoid the direct sunlight on your furniture.

No, they just hung like ordinary nets in the inside.

There old house had a small, 3 sided, South facing, courtyard that got very warm. The nets were on the French Doors that opened onto a wide passage that ran between the old house and the newer part. Never remember it getting hot inside.  Would have just taking a dip in the swimming pool if it had.