How did you connect your stove pipe to air supply?

We have a soil pipe under our screed bringing in fresh air from outside. Next week we need to connect it to our new Stove. The Stove inlet is 80mm diameter and needs an 80mm diameter steel duct. But our soil pipe is 110mm diameter. It’s been suggested to me that the 80mm steel pipe should just be fed into the soil pipe and the gap between the two should be closed up with duct tape. I guess duct tape is designed for ducts, but the issue I have is that once the stove goes in, it will be impossible to access this connection, because it sits under the stove and that area will be sealed up. Will duct tape keep the connection sealed for 20 years? Surely eventually it unsticks?

13 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Will duct tape keep the connection sealed for 20 years

No, especially as it will be very warm. 

Every year I bring the boxes of decorations down from the attic and the duct tape has come loose. attic temperatures +30 to -5?

Even if it worked, it won't look good to anybody peeking behind.

But what about plastic connected to the metal of the stove? Bringing in cold air obviously, but are there any instructions about the proximity of plastic?

Intuitively I don't think plastic within 200mm is safe.

The kits include aluminium flexy tube but it is ugly.

I am really surprised that the stove suppliers don't offer a steel tube for the transition.

A piece of metal tube 80mm, and that connector from Conor would be ideal.

In the short term, won't the air flow freely from the pipe to the back of the stove?

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

No, especially as it will be very warm. 

Every year I bring the boxes of decorations down from the attic and the duct tape has come loose. attic temperatures +30 to -5?

Even if it worked, it won't look good to anybody peeking behind.

But what about plastic connected to the metal of the stove? Bringing in cold air obviously, but are there any instructions about the proximity of plastic?

Intuitively I don't think plastic within 200mm is safe.

The kits include aluminium flexy tube but it is ugly.

I am really surprised that the stove suppliers don't offer a steel tube for the transition.

A piece of metal tube 80mm, and that connector from Conor would be ideal.

In the short term, won't the air flow freely from the pipe to the back of the stove?

Thanks. We need to sort this out before we install the stove and stove base, because once the stove goes in there won’t be any way to access (or see) the air supply pipe. It is all hidden behind a concrete plinth e we have built to support a steel tabletop which in turn supports the stove. Hence we need a fit and forget solution.

I therefore withdraw my last comment.

Checking the instructions sounds like the crucial thing. flammable materials to be kept apart by xxxmm.

Looking into this for myself I find that steel tube comes in an amazing variety of sizes...perhaps a local stockholder has a small piece for your link.

Ahh  but if it is all out of sight, what is wrong with the aluminium slinky pipe.

With mine I had a manifold fabricated locally, 80mm out, 110mm in and a box section vertically between the two, costly, but I was too busy at the time doing everything else, personally I would do the bend(s) in metal to stop heat tracking to the soil pipe (which is what I have under the floor).

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Ahh  but if it is all out of sight, what is wrong with the aluminium slinky pipe.

Our stove installer used that.

We have small log store underneath, I just leave a few logs to cover the pipe.

On the connection from the slinky pipe to plastic pipe not sure on that as it was all done whilst I was at work.

P1170284.thumb.JPG.423f503f3207d6dd03fa0fe60e9413cd.JPG