Sequence (flooring, kitchen units, decorating etc)

WWilts

New build in progress. Looking ahead

Qu: In what order/sequence is it helpful to do the following:

Kitchen installation
Flooring (probably luxury vinyl tiles)
Painting/decorating (2 mist coats sprayed by us, finished by professional)

If you make a mess of the paint spraying, you'll end up not saving anything as they ( the professional painters ) will have to rub that all back and make good. How confident ( competent ) do you feel you are with that?

1. Painting, mist coat  
  2. Kitchen goes in, less plinths and cornices
  3. LVT goes down, minimum amount only eg waste of time going under the units.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If you make a mess of the paint spraying, you'll end up not saving anything as they ( the professional painters ) will have to rub that all back and make good. How confident ( competent ) do you feel you are with that?

1. Painting, mist coat  
  2. Kitchen goes in, less plinths and cornices
  3. LVT goes down, minimum amount only eg waste of time going under the units.

probably not so bad with LVT but in our last house (new build by a mass builder) we had tiles which were obviously laid after the kitchen went in and when I had to get the dishwasher out from under the worktop I couldn't do it as the tiles were so high the feet would retract enough to get the dishwasher out! ever since then I have decided that I will take the extra cost hit and tile under the units.

• Like 1

LVT down

skirtings 
mist

kitchen

final painting.

flooring down- nice easy surface, no cutting around haffits etc.

skirtings, primed varnished etc 

mist coat, less mess when kitchen is in.

fit kitchen

finish paining and use.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TonyT said:

LVT down

skirtings

And if you ever want to change the LVT, with that down first then skirts, you have a real pig of a job on your hands downstream :/.

25 minutes ago, TonyT said:

mist

kitchen

final painting.

And a lot of downstream trades / risk to the floor.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

we had tiles which were obviously laid after the kitchen went in and when I had to get the dishwasher out from under the worktop I couldn't do it as the tiles were so high the feet would retract enough to get the dishwasher out! ever since then I have decided that I will take the extra cost hit and tile under the units.

I should have added that sorry. LVT / other floor covering ( as applicable ) into the voids where appliances go. Still pointless going under all the units and sending good money into the darkness never to be seen again. That money can go towards paying for the paint :) 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I should have added that sorry. LVT / other floor covering ( as applicable ) into the voids where appliances go. Still pointless going under all the units and sending good money into the darkness never to be seen again. That money can go towards paying for the paint :) 

now that makes more sense. 🙂