Means of escape regs

We are going to replace our existing UPVC windows with triple glazed wood.  Do we have to comply with building regs as per new build, and replace one of the first floor windows with a larger opening to provide a fire escape?

I think that replacement windows are subject to regs, but a registered installer is a competent person to certify their own work.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/14/doors_and_windows/2

If you use an unregistered installer you are supposed to get the BCO involved.

The ones I have just had done my installer advised me for example to make the openings on some vertical not horizontal to form escape windows from bedrooms, which was different to the existing layout.

Edited by Ferdinand

Your other option if you happen to forget to get BC involved is to go 'omigod I forgot to get BC involved can I ever forgive myself?' when you sell it and buy an indemnity policy for your buyer if it is within about 5-10 years of installation.

If it is a serious project you will quite probably get the certificate as part of the quote.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

On a garage conversion ( not one of mine )  the window company raved about escape windows upstairs so the customer agreed, changing the top openers to vertical openers. They fitted the windows only to find half way into the job that they hit the facia boards and wouldn't open more than a few inches. Top class survey team :D