Water feed for 10 pods

james19

Hi All. I'm looking for some advice on what pipework I'll need to feed 10 ensuite glamping pods. I currently have a 250m run of 32mm MDPE with a 'T' off in 25mm MDPE to each pod. Pressure won't be a problem as if I don't get enough pressure from the mains (not connected yet), I can always feed into a tank and pump from there. My concern is if this pipework infrastructure will be able to feed enough water to each pod (I'm working on the basis that each pod will be showering at the same time - worst case scenario kind of thing). I've currently got a digger on hire so was thinking of running another 32mm MDPE pipe all the way up the run, effectively making a loop of 32mm. However, I am being told that the current set up will suffice. Not sure what's best. I've looked online for a calculator but can't find anything that I can make sense of. Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.

Assuming all are showering at the same time you need 100 litres/min or thereabouts which on a 32mm MDPE is going to be near impossible. 

At those flow levels over 250m you will have a pressure loss of 4-6bar depending on the point the 25mm is connected from the main feeder pipe. Given your average mains supply is 3-5 bar, you will have no pressure at the far end of the run by the time you get to that shower.

This should ideally have been done in 63mm where you would have had less than 0.25bar pressure drop due to flow and then reduced to 20mm feeds to each pod. 

Out of interest, how are you heating the water for the showers ..??

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterW said:

Assuming all are showering at the same time you need 100 litres/min or thereabouts which on a 32mm MDPE is going to be near impossible. 

At those flow levels over 250m you will have a pressure loss of 4-6bar depending on the point the 25mm is connected from the main feeder pipe. Given your average mains supply is 3-5 bar, you will have no pressure at the far end of the run by the time you get to that shower.

This should ideally have been done in 63mm where you would have had less than 0.25bar pressure drop due to flow and then reduced to 20mm feeds to each pod. 

Out of interest, how are you heating the water for the showers ..??

Thanks for this Peter. Each pod has an LPG gas water heater/boiler. I've been advised to add another run of 32mm MDPE to make a loop and the water supply can then be fed in at both ends of the loop. Do you think this would work? I could also add a third into the middle of the run?

3@32mm is going to cost you more than 1@63mm. Your big restriction will be the connection to the main - have you had a price for this as anything over a 22mm meter is non standard and could be very expensive. 

A above, issue isn't the 25mm to each pods it's the 32mm pipe. Lay a 63mm pipe. Or have have a gravity storage tank on the site with pumped feeds to each pod.

I'm not sure what you mean by looping the 32mm pipe, but if it's just looping around the pods and not all the way back to the connection, then it won't make much of a difference.

Work out the cost difference between a storage and pump system to a new 63mm connection (or three additional 32mm connections which is roughly equivalent) and take it from there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PeterW said:

3@32mm is going to cost you more than 1@63mm. Your big restriction will be the connection to the main - have you had a price for this as anything over a 22mm meter is non standard and could be very expensive. 

Thanks again. Yes, I should have gone with 63 in the first instance but already laid the 32. I'll lay more seeing as I have it and seeing as it'll suffice. Not sure on the mains yet. Paid Yorks Water for the applications and waiting to hear back. If their quote is too much I have a bore hole. Really appreciate your advice. Wish I'd asked you instead of who I took my initial advice from! 

14 hours ago, Conor said:

A above, issue isn't the 25mm to each pods it's the 32mm pipe. Lay a 63mm pipe. Or have have a gravity storage tank on the site with pumped feeds to each pod.

I'm not sure what you mean by looping the 32mm pipe, but if it's just looping around the pods and not all the way back to the connection, then it won't make much of a difference.

Work out the cost difference between a storage and pump system to a new 63mm connection (or three additional 32mm connections which is roughly equivalent) and take it from there.

Thanks Conor 👍