How aware are new self-builders on the new Part L and O changes?

CharlieKLP

I’m quite surprised that there isn’t more fuss about it, as it’s going to mess a lot of plans up.

Basically, you will probably need solar panels and ASHP, gas is increasingly difficult.

The worst part for me, is the window situation. No more lovely big bi-folds and feature glazing. It’s a sad day.

If you’re not already building you’re going to get hammered by this.

RIBA have a summary of changes

Part O - Standards for overheating in new residential buildings 

Part O aims to ensure that new residential buildings, including homes, care homes, student accommodation and children’s homes are designed to reduce overheating. It splits England into areas of 'moderate risk' and 'high risk' of overheating, the latter including urban and some suburban parts of London. 

2 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

The worst part for me, is the window situation. No more lovely big bi-folds and feature glazing. It’s a sad day.

was talking to our external blind supplier about this and all this means is that you have to consider overheating when putting in the huge bifolds and lots of glass. it doesn't mean you can't have that, right? as long as you put external shading in, be that blinds or briese soleil or pergola or over-hangs etc then you'll be fine.

I would've thought an architect like you @CharlieKLP would love the idea of designing in shading solutions. 😉 

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

was talking to our external blind supplier about this and all this means is that you have to consider overheating when putting in the huge bifolds and lots of glass. it doesn't mean you can't have that, right? as long as you put external shading in, be that blinds or briese soleil or pergola or over-hangs etc then you'll be fine.

I would've thought an architect like you @CharlieKLP would love the idea of designing in shading solutions. 😉 

I do love louvres! 

I don’t see anywhere in the regs where you can mitigate the solar gains that way?

I hope they do take that into account because it sucks and makes sense… 

Just now, CharlieKLP said:

I do love louvres! 

I don’t see anywhere in the regs where you can mitigate the solar gains that way?

I hope they do take that into account because it sucks and makes sense… 

I have to admit I've not read the new regs but the external blinds chap said I'd be ok with our external blind solution so I've taken his word for it although I don't believe it affects me as we're already at watertight stage. but I might be wrong. 🤷‍♂️

@Thorfun

you’re actually a genius!

I read the article, instead of relying the (dull) people I work with to tell me and it’s right there

The approved document also provides a list of ways to limit solar gains into a building that can be modelled, such as shutters, external blinds, or overhangs. Other ways it suggests limiting solar gains would be to alter the glazing design (size or G-Value), in the Building Design (Balconies), or through shading provided by surrounding buildings or landscapes.

Residential buildings in high risk locations should also provide shading for east, south and west facing glazing by one of the following means:

1. External Shutters with means of ventilation
  2. Glazing with a maximum G-Value of 0.4 and a minimum light transmittance of 0.7.
  3. Overhangs with 50 degrees altitude cut-off on due south-facing facades only.

while most people are in the moderate location, it does seem like they will recognise shading methods.

looks like your blind man knows what he’s doing and you’ll be fine, that’s a relief!

Edited by CharlieKLP

15 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

looks like your blind man knows what he’s doing and you’ll be fine, that’s a relief!

it's a relief to me too! although I'll reserve final judgement until after the blinds are installed.

15 minutes ago, CharlieKLP said:

you’re actually a genius!

I'll be framing this and showing it to my kids.