Boiler Upgrade Scheme Grant - Actions to Take Now

On 28/09/2022 at 07:18, HughF said:

Why anyone would apply for this grant is beyond me…. All it does is push the cost to the consumer up by the amount of the grant…

Not true. In my case for example I will pay a total of just over 3k, grant is 5k.

I do think the 5k grant will cause price inflation as it creates more demand while supply is, at least in the short term, relatively closer to constant.

But I suspect the inflation is more like 1-2k.

In other words the existence of a 5k grant brings down the price by 3-4k and installer pockets 1-2k.

If true, I don't think this is a bad thing at all.

We want greener heating systems to be more profitable so that they can grow their business and others can be attracted to join the space.

Edited by Green Power
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Green Power said:

Not true. In my case for example I will pay a total of just over 3k, grant is 5k.

I do think the 5k grant will cause price inflation as it creates more demand while supply is, at least in the short term, relatively closer to constant.

But I suspect the inflation is more like 1-2k.

In other words the existence of a 5k grant brings down the price by 3-4k and installer pockets 1-2k.

If true, I don't think this is a bad thing at all.

We want greener heating systems to be more profitable so that they can grow their business and others can be attracted to join the space.

It’s encouraging that you’ve ended up with a cheap install, that’s good. May I ask what you’re getting for that?

New ashp, uvc, rads etc?

On 28/09/2022 at 11:18, HughF said:

Why anyone would apply for this grant is beyond me…. All it does is push the cost to the consumer up by the amount of the grant…

Depends on finding a decent company . We had this for our new build and was a fairly straightforward process and yeah it was expensive because it was a new set up

for a larger property 350 m2..we ended paying about 7K for the whole lot and the installers claimed the 5K BUS grant.To be honest our ASHP unit costs nearly that much on its own so of course they probably make a bit extra but tbh we got way more out of it.

Arotherms S Plus 12 kW .. for reference.. 

Edited by Seren161
List

On 19/10/2022 at 12:45, HughF said:

It’s encouraging that you’ve ended up with a cheap install, that’s good. May I ask what you’re getting for that?

New ashp, uvc, rads etc?

It is a hot water tank, a heat pump (internal and external unit), mostly used existing radiators but added 2 more, and all the labour and materials etc.

I am not sure what you mean by uvc. Do you mean ultraviolet light to stop Legionnaires' disease developing in the water tank? If so, I don't know whether that feature was included or not.

2 hours ago, Green Power said:

It is a hot water tank, a heat pump (internal and external unit), mostly used existing radiators but added 2 more, and all the labour and materials etc.

I am not sure what you mean by uvc. Do you mean ultraviolet light to stop Legionnaires' disease developing in the water tank? If so, I don't know whether that feature was included or not.

Can you let us know what heat pump you ended up with? I’m just juggling numbers about in my head to try and guess their labour component of the £8k bill

Edited by HughF

From the point of view of invoice, they just invoiced me, and I paid. The BUS/Ofgem did not complicate the process at this point from my standpoint. The installer will have to apply to them directly for the grant.

I paid £3405 of course, not the £8405.

(Increased from about £8,200 to £8405 as they removed a part of a cupboard to allow the installation.)

Edited by Green Power

22 hours ago, Green Power said:

From the point of view of invoice, they just invoiced me, and I paid. The BUS/Ofgem did not complicate the process at this point from my standpoint. The installer will have to apply to them directly for the grant.

I paid £3405 of course, not the £8405.

(Increased from about £8,200 to £8405 as they removed a part of a cupboard to allow the installation.)

£4594 for the pump and cylinder (according to ecububl), so about £3900 to cover the rads, some pipework and their labour...

Some portion of my cost will be the company's operating costs, such as vehicles, electricity bill, IT network, paying taxes, the salary of the receptionist and so on. And some will be profit.  Some will go to cover the costs of people that get quotes and don't go ahead.

2 hours ago, Green Power said:

Just got some feedback from the tenant that neither they nor the next door neighbour (who is pretty close with it being a terraced house and the heat pump sited near to them) can even hear it. So that's good that the noise is low.

It is now but it will get louder as the temp drops to frost levels and the fan speeds up a lot. Everyone should be inside at those times so not really a problem

• Like 1