Activity space - Scottish Building Regs for WC/Bathroom design/layout

Chris HB

I’m looking at the current regs and the activity spaces required for different elements, in particular showers. 

It’s shown that the 800x800 activity space starts at the edge of the shower tray. 

What happens if you want to have a wet room/walk in type of shower that has no tray edge as such? Where would you class the activity space starting from?

https://www.gov.scot/publications/building-standards-technical-handbook-2020-domestic/3-environment/3-12-sanitary-facilities/

my take on this would be to draw the activity spaces on the plan layout, just use a nominal size for the tray, although you won't physically have one, you will have a tray former that is the showering area.

Building warrant wants to ensue that there is room to move around. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jenki said:

my take on this would be to draw the activity spaces on the plan layout, just use a nominal size for the tray, although you won't physically have one, you will have a tray former that is the showering area.

Building warrant wants to ensue that there is room to move around. 

Thanks. Wondering if with the wider trays, say 800 x 1200/1500 etc. can the extra width of the tray be counted as part of the ‘activity space? As effectively that’s what the extra width is for in terms of use?’ Or is it not seen like that?

This is partly covered in the regs -

An accessible shower room should be of a size that will accommodate either a level-access floor shower with a drained area of not less than 1.0m x 1.0m (or equivalent) or a 900mm x 900mm shower tray (or equivalent). The drained area of a level-access floor shower may overlap with activity or manoeuvring spaces where access to other sanitary facilities is not across the drained area.

So the drained area of the shower can be in the activity space. I think I would read this as the activity space could be in the shower as there is room for this plus a 900x900 tray.

However,  another part of the regs supersedes this -

• except where reduced by projection of a wash hand basin, unobstructed access at least 800mm wide to each sanitary facility,

So you could have what you show, but only if the entrance to the shower has to be at least 800mm wide. I don't think you can have an accessible shower with a 627mm wide entrance.

It is also worth noting, in case this is the plan, that an accessible shower cannot be an en suite.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AliG said:

Not sure on the activity space on a quadrant shower.

However I don’t think they qualify as accessible if that is also required as the entry is too narrow.

accessibility is not essential in this case, but nice to have ;) I’m exploring all options to see if I can get a WC, basin and shower into what is proving to be a very tight potential space for a small bathroom!