New member here

Neilp

Good morning, I have been browsing this forum for a few days and it looks like it is a very useful place.

We are just buying a house that we will be extending and I am sure we can learn lots here along the way.

On 14/03/2022 at 12:36, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome.

Just in case - excuse me if you've sorted this out - are you sure you can extend the house that you are buying? Certain sure?

I ask because I wouldn't want you to buy and then find out the hard way that because of [... ] you can't extend.

Ian

Hi Ian

we are as sure as we can be without actually getting the permission through. There is no real reason we shouldn’t be able to….

I have already put in for planning but it is likely we will complete the purchase before planning is decided. 

We won’t be causing any problems to the neighbours on either side, or to the rear I don’t think. There are other properties in the road with similar extensions as well. 

I know the planners make baffling decisions at times, but I am as confident as I can be that the scheme will be ok. I am certainly going be nervous until it comes through though. 

If it gets rejected I can still refurbish what’s there and sell it on, but that’s not what we want to do, it’s going to be our home. 

13 hours ago, Neilp said:

I know the planners make baffling decisions at times,

Not really. They are very precise in following the rules, but sometimes this is down to interpretation.

A planning consultant would not charge much for a quick overview, or quite a lot for certainty.

You can do your own research by

1. looking at the planning history online for 'your' property, on the LA website. Has there been a rejected application for example? Or has it already been extended and used its allocation?

2. ditto for neighbouring and very similar properties which have been extended.....all the arguments for and against will be made.

3. reading the council's development plan for the area.

4. ask for a meeting with the planners. They will charge about £200.

Probably you are right but it is worth checking.