GRP vs asphalt after Eunice took hold?

rh2205

My mums entire roof ripped off in Eunice.  House is very exposed 20m from sea 3 storey flat roof 1970s house on south coast facing the water. In the last 10 years two other storms have partially damaged her roof one with half being replaced and another with a leak so the other half of the top floor ceilings collapsed, clearly budget insurance contractors didn’t pay off in this instance as she knew the half replacement from a dodgy contractor through the insurer was probably part of the issue. She is obviously getting quite anxious with the frequency & is looking whether a different material might help, with the latest incident she gets a whole new roof including new boards but it is like for like cost for asphalt from insurer. For an extra 2.5k she can get a Scott Bader GRP (approved installer 20yr warranty) Including matching up stands/edging. With any new roof they are using 18mm smart ply osb to replace roof boards first the asphalt option also comes with a 20yr warranty & is fully covered by the insurance and this time she has gone through someone she knows who does exceptional work. If I’m honest this latest incident also partially pulled off some concrete cladding & the batons which then pulled off a metre section of roof parapet, maybe there is no helping her situation!!

Any benefits to switching to GRP & paying the extra now or is this another recipe for disaster or maybe I should tell her to just switch it to a warm roof & put her money into that vs the GRP change.

What do you think the structural engineer will suggest? The small section of brick parapet is getting rebuilt, nothing actual structural she gets severe driving rain in her location, should of seen what happened to the pointing previously & even with the pointing being redone probably still gets a bit of wind driven rain damp on the most exposed side of house (downsides of living with such great views). Anyway these are side issues not related to the roof.

This is the insurance paid replacement option - Lay 2 layers of Technotorch underlay and 1 final layer of Icopal high performance charcoal Technotorch felt including edgings and upstands. For those that might know about specific systems.

Edited by rh2205

3 hours ago, rh2205 said:

My mums entire roof ripped off in Eunice.

As it is 20 m from the sea, was it just wind damage.  Seen roofs missing after storms down here and after talking to people, seems an extra large wave, and the associated spray, caused the damage.

A properly installed GRP flat room will last decades.

A badly done one, weeks.

GRP work should not be done by normal builders.  There is much more to it than just mixing in lots of hardener and slapping it down.