Wunda temp sensors + cooling

Adam2

I have the UFH, screed and manifolds all in so now looking at control. Will be using an inverter driven ASHP in a well insulated new build with low ventilation losses + couple of MVHR units. Hoping for roughly a consistent temp across all of the house but with solar gain, heat from people and animals there will of course be some variation.

The temp control units/local zone programmers from wunda I plan to install in a cupboard as aiming for not needing to use them very often and want to minimise wall devices where posisble. For in room temp sensors I was going to use the Wunda supplied floor probes installed into  small boxes near a plug socket for each zone - something like this from Heatmiser - just a simple plastic box with holes in. Does that seem reasonable? The Wunda programmer has the option for using the inbuilt temp sensor or an external (or both). Do I just use any wire I like (similar gauge) to extend the 3m floor probe cable length?

I'll be using  a buffer + UVC so was thinking if I want to use cooling I could set temps to higher say 30 degrees so would always call for "heat" during the programmed "on time" but switch the ASHP to cooling mode so when there is a call for heat it produces cold water ~15 degrees. Will this kind of approach work or should I do something more elaborate? I figure that we'd only need cooling when we're in July or Aug (no chance of needing heating - will have electric UFH mats in bathrooms) so it would just be twice a year that we need to visit the programmers to change the temp and maybe the "on-time".

Temp sensing should really be done at around 1450mm from floor level, to give a reference to what you ‘feel’ in the room when vertical. Putting them down low will give a misrepresentative reading, but of course you can adjust that during commissioning by fitting a temporary room thermometer to show what the lower reading needs to be for you to be comfortable ‘up top’.

Depending on the choice of heat pump, you can get quite sleek looking wall mounted stats which do the heating and cooling control in one gadget. The Panasonic one I’ve just fitted is certainly non-ugly and the display goes to sleep when you’ve finished playing with it.

Not sure how / where you connect the remote sensors in, do you have a link to the installation manual for the equipment you’ve chosen?

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Temp sensing should really be done at around 1450mm from floor level, to give a reference to what you ‘feel’ in the room when vertical.

Why when vertical, I tend to sit down at home.

Not that it really matters as it is just a case of adding on a °C or whatever.

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not sure how / where you connect the remote sensors in, do you have a link to the installation manual for the equipment you’ve chosen?

Thanks - CoolEnergy inverter ASHP. The UFH kit is from Wunda the basic touchscreen wall units. They have a separate input connector for the remote temp sensor and you can use this remote sensor or the internal one or both (then the remote is a safety one for wood floors I guess). Model W91.713

https://www.wundatrade.co.uk/shop/home/quick-shop/wundatherm-quick-shop/controls-quickshop/touchscreen-thermostat/

ASHP 

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2612/5402/files/CE-iVT18.pdf?v=1644246601

Edited by Adam2
added link
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why when vertical, I tend to sit down at home.

Not that it really matters as it is just a case of adding on a °C or whatever.

The electrician also suggested putting higher so will decide on each zone where is best. Prefer not to have the controller on the wall and the temp probe low so less obvious unless it is suitably discreetly positioned