Does Full Piling & Rebuild nullify Property subsidence history??

michelenh

Hi

So a (failed) subsidence claim, a full ground & building survey has determined that my father's 1963 semi detached bungalow (3 bed 86 sqm) is subsiding due to:

1) original insufficient foundations (sand/ash & inappropriate sized hardcore ie with huge gaps) &

2) multiple above-ground original 1963 quality of build  (ie pig build inc different number of brick layers at various stages aroundf the property).

Our independent structural engineer after multiple trial pits has advised that the property requires underpining across its entire footprint to make it stable before we even think of trying to correct the horrendous pig build.  The property is long overdue to be refurbed (wiring, heating, decoration etc)  and hence we THINK we have concluded that a demo/rebuild/minor extension is better than trying to repair the existing  - subject to planning permisson of course.

Our rationale:  Bungalow Values

£380k - New Bungalow (115 sqm) new foundations, fully mortgageable (Rebuild (inc vat claimback) £135k max  (no rehousing as we have FOC options, cost 100% funded from savings)

£140k - Existing Repaired/refurbed Bungalow inc = £90k

Am I over assuming when I conclude that if the new bungalow is built to all required building reg standards and on new fully piled foundations (with expansion joints between us and adjoining bungalow ((only partly underpinned in 1990) that this would wipe the slate clean for Insurers and Mortgage providers OR would the property still have a a proverbial alabtross around its neck?

(The owner of the adjoining bungalow uses it as a long term rental property and has done for 2o years plus, as such he has no wish to spend money on his property other than maintaining a safe (but crooked) property for his tenant to reside in.

Also, please can you recommend the best book for planning a demo/rebuild.

Thanks, M

Hi. I was recommended House Builders bible 14th Edition and that is quite good book. It would not give the know how to demolish and rebuild yourself but very useful if you are appointing either trades people or one contractor.

In my view, once you have rebuilt the foundation with approptoate solution piling etc, it should wipe the slate clean for your property as it would not have any history of subsidence but dont forget ensure that you have the structural warranty to help satisfy the Insurance provider that structurally property is sound. Insurance question is normally limited to the property in question itself rather than adjoining properties. Might be worth asking Insurance brokers.

Before looking at rebuild/refurbishment option it might be worth considering the market value of the property on cash sale as it probably might not get a mortgage. But between refurb at that level v rebuild, I will always prefer the rebuild as long as the cost can be managed and controlled.

5 hours ago, Temp said:

It should also be possible to obtain a new 10 year structural warranty. 

this. You will need an SE to design your foundation, have a test borehole done then ringbeam. Budget £40k for it.

Unless you are doing all the trades yourself i think you are very light on build cost, cheap is £1500 m2  with the expensive foundation you will be £200k min.

Edited by Dave Jones