Prefabricated Chimney

In the 1960's, the two brick chimneys in our house were taken down to loft level, and the roof slated over. Bricks have gone.

We want to install two wood burning stoves, so we need to install liners.  

Aesthetically, we really want the chimneys back, but the cost of rebuilding them in brick with all the other associated works would be substantial.

Googling around, it turns out that there are several suppliers of prefabricated GRP based brick chimneys, designed to accept Live Class 1 flues.  They welcome custom designs.

Anybody any experience of this technology?

On 09/02/2022 at 09:50, Russell griffiths said:

so what’s the cost of the fibreglass ones ?

I've now had a quote back.  They are all custom built, and the price varies a great deal, apparently.

I asked for "full footprint" (665 x 890) and about 2.75m tall - their estimate was about £2,000 + VAT each.  They are basically cementing brick slips to a fibreglass core, so they will require replacement after some time (although they do have a 10 year guarantee).  So I guess I will continue my search for a brickie ...

10 hours ago, Fallingditch said:

I asked for "full footprint" (665 x 890) and about 2.75m tall - their estimate was about £2,000 + VAT each

WOW.

Maybe I should start making them again.

Are there any fire regs about them, and do you need a SE to sign them off? None of that existed when we made them back in the 1980s.

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

"Are there any fire regs about them, and do you need a SE to sign them off? "

that I don't know. It seemms that brickfab.com in S.Wales are the main player in this market, but as I said, I don't think we'll be pursuing this option