Window installation surveyor

Peter M

I'm hoping that someone on this wonderful forum will be able to point me in the right direction to get an independent window surveyor that can write up a report for the windows and doors that we have had supplied and installed by what we hoped would be a reputable company. 

After the installation started just before Xmas 2021 it was noticed that not everything that was being delivered and installed matched exactly what we had believed we would be getting, we approved and signed off the CAD drawings but despite this two weeks prior to the start of installation an email was sent to us "confirming" a change to one of the windows that hadn't been requested or spoken about, long story short we now have a long list, almost three pages long, that we are now of the opinion that the only way that we can get sense applied to our situation is to employ an independent surveyor who knows the window supply and install world. 

I'm not at this stage happy about sharing the name of the company concerned as we are still in discussion with them about these issues but we do need to have in our possession the correct information to challenge their responses should we feel that we are being mislead in any way. 

If anyone has experienced a like situation and can advise me I'd be very grateful even if you feel that I'm 'barking up the wrong tree' 

Write to them carefully detailing what you feel are the shortcomings.

Are the goods faulty or not up to the standard that you expected?

Is it a few install tweaks, or rip them all out?

I suspect that a surveyor will not help your case much at this stage and could cost a good deal of money.

Edited by Mr Punter

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Write to them carefully detailing what you feel are the shortcomings.

Are the goods faulty or not up to the standard that you expected?

Is it a few install tweaks, or rip them all out?

I suspect that a surveyor will not help your case much at this stage and could cost a good deal of money.

We have written to the company with a full and concise snagging list and because of the scope of the snags the owner felt that he should come out to do a full inspection, some of the 'faults' could be rectified on site but there are others that we feel fall under the miss selling act or goods not as described or errors made during the manufacture of the windows. 

The response we received back ten days later together with some solutions for rectifying some of the issues also suggested that we were at fault for expecting windows to look like what we were shown at their offices/showroom despite our requests on numerous occasions to see "an actual product" or sample of what we should expect. 

To make matters worse we have also just today discovered that the implementation of the edpm seal around the windows and doors is the wrong type as the plasterer says that it should be fully bonded to the cavity closure as well as the inner blockwork skin, currently at least 90mm of the edpm is loose and flapping between the frame and inner blockwork which would mean the dot and dab is not adhered to a firm surface, it may be that I'm worrying unnecessarily about this but....... If the plasterer is right it may be that all the windows need to be taken out to re do the edpm if nothing else unless there is a way to retro fit some form of bonding agent. 

55 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

99% of windows are not fitted with EPDM.  Why does it need to be bonded to the cavity closer?  Bonded to frame and to inner leaf will stop moist indoor air causing issues.

From what was explained to me by the plasterer was, as the edpm was affixed around our windows and doors to further enhance the moisture and air tightness of the opening it needed to be bonded to the cavity closure and the lintel above by way of the adhesive fixing strip on the reverse side of the edpm layer and where/if it was breached or punctured during installation should also be patched/sealed to retain its effectiveness as shown and described by the manufacturer on its website. 

Send me your concerns via a PM and I'll gladly have a look at it and supply you with my opinion. I'll need the 1:5 sections drawings, profile drawings, your snagging list and the questions you need answered. I'll tell you based on the information supplied whether you have a point and or your supplier.

Edited by craig

12 hours ago, craig said:

Send me your concerns via a PM and I'll gladly have a look at it and supply you with my opinion. I'll need the 1:5 sections drawings, profile drawings, your snagging list and the questions you need answered. I'll tell you based on the information supplied whether you have a point and or your supplier.

Hi Craig, Thank you for your reply and offer to look at our concerns of this issue, I'll write up a shortened bullet point list with the relevant drawings of what we expected based on the information supplied by the window company which at this point has fallen far short of our expectations and send via a PM. 

• 11 months later...

Hi, both.

My apologies for piggy backing on this thread and hoping you are still a member, Craig! I am in the same boat with a botched window installation. We stopped ours halfway as the 2nd day was a Saturday and we could not speak to anyone in a senior position until the Monday. This was on 7th January and I have now raised a formal complaint with the company. As Peter stated, I would not feel comfortable sharing the name of the company concerned as we are still in discussion with them about these issues but, I would like to have the correct information to challenge their responses should we feel that we are being mislead more than we already feel we have been.

Is there any chance you can help?

Thank you!

d

21 hours ago, Dani said:

Hi, both.

My apologies for piggy backing on this thread and hoping you are still a member, Craig! I am in the same boat with a botched window installation. We stopped ours halfway as the 2nd day was a Saturday and we could not speak to anyone in a senior position until the Monday. This was on 7th January and I have now raised a formal complaint with the company. As Peter stated, I would not feel comfortable sharing the name of the company concerned as we are still in discussion with them about these issues but, I would like to have the correct information to challenge their responses should we feel that we are being mislead more than we already feel we have been.

Thank you!

d

Happy to do so, if you send me a message on Buildhub I'll have a look for you, if you could send any pictures etc. to assist that would be great.

On 24/01/2023 at 15:03, Dani said:

Hi, both.

Thank you!

d

Hi Dani and Craig, our situation regarding the botched window supply and installation has not yet been resolved, more than a year has been lost in our build and we have engaged a solicitor to pursue all issues of this for us, we've just recently had a complete survey done, engaged by our solicitors, by an independent fenestration expert and are now awaiting their report, sadly these kind of supply and install problems are not easily resolved and it takes time but we're determined to not allow our particular supply and install company to get away with the total mess that they have created.