Didn't quite make the in for Christmas thread!

Hoping to get into the new house this week. The price increases have definitely hit the budget a bit, but not enough for it to hinder our determination to reach the finish line! A year since we got the foundations in and started putting up the panels the we had already made on site. Here's a glimpse of the kitchen, flooring has since been laid. 

Screenshot_20220123_194446.jpg

IMG_20220120_212545.jpg

• Like 1

Inspiring stuff! We are at the beginning hoping to be able to move in by the end of this year. I’m being careful not to say “we’ll be in by Christmas” but am secretly hoping we will. Also feeling the shock of rapidly skyrocketing prices. Well done on digging deep and pushing forwards!

Our project started 13 months ago. It was meant to finish by Aug last year. We still have at least 2.5 months, probably more. Bloody ridiculous scheduling by my builder. Has we been in by Xmas, he would have only been 50% over his original timetable. I would have accepted that. At this rate, he will end up being about 100% over.

• Sad 1

It gets worse. Today I received this email from a very small workshop I have contracted to do all our joinery, having paid a substantial cash deposit to them last month:

Just to update you following your email, unfortunately [name of master joiner whom I contracted withas sole trader] has had a stroke whilst abroad and is currently in hospital over there. We are trying to keep things moving in his absence but have no idea when he will be back, if you can send over as much information as you can and some timescales we will look at our production schedule and capability and we can go from there.

Assuming this is genuine, I really feel for him. He's relative young (about 50) and appeared to be of normal weight, so a stroke seems a little surprising but I assume he is being honest. I doubt we will be in for months now.