Shower valves - get what you pay for?

Adam2

We're looking at the shower options and curious about the huge price differences between things like this Milan option from Victorian vs the Grohe equivalents which are 3 x the cost. Is there a good reason for the price differential? Is the grohe one much better at regulating temperature  e.g. if the flow rate changes due to other water usage in the house?

Looking at contemporary shower options - overhead rainfall and maybe side accessory spray but not on a rail.

@Adam2 Not sure on whether one is better then the other but I've just fitted the same shower set up you're after.

I went with a Hansgrohe ceiling mounted shower head (but sunk this into the ceiling) and Crosswater's Crossbox valves and a Crosswater shower handset. The Crosswater valve was easy to fit and most importantly, to test, before tiling all round it.

Would definitely recommend the valve.

Edited by vala
  • Like 1

I have Grohe, but only because I got them as a job lot at bargain prices.

They do come with a good first fix kit, second fix is a fairy simple screw together once tiling is complete.  The first fix allows you flush and leak test prior to plastering or plasterboard

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2022 at 00:56, Adam2 said:

We're looking at the shower options and curious about the huge price differences between things like this Milan option from Victorian vs the Grohe equivalents which are 3 x the cost. Is there a good reason for the price differential? Is the grohe one much better at regulating temperature  e.g. if the flow rate changes due to other water usage in the house?

Looking at contemporary shower options - overhead rainfall and maybe side accessory spray but not on a rail.

The one from Victorian could be the same as those on ebay at half the price. (not here to promote the use of unbranded product)

Grohe / Crosswater / Travistock are all more expensive but you have the comfort of quality and less likely require repair / replacement in the future. 

A lot of job lot discount on ebay to be honest. Trade can get those products at like 40% of RRP.