Software and any templates?

Hi, 

We're in early stages of working out what might be possible and so far I've been using paper and pen and tracing over a print out of the Rightmove layout from the estate agent. 

• Are there any recommendations for software I can do for planning / drawing that isn't professional grade and more drag/drop? Mac or Windows is fine. I'm hoping there's basically an Ikea kitchen planner equivalent for houses!
    I've seen Planup, but that has the "not for commercial use" watermark over everything. I would prefer software to pen & paper as I can't get scale for thickness of walls etc. 
  • Also, are there websites that give indicative or template layouts to crib ideas off. At the moment I've trawling Rightmove to see other house and screenshotting layouts for ideas, but there's nothing that can define dimensions etc so it's a crap shoot as to whether it'll be relevant or fit. I was thinking there might be somewhere where you say you need 200/300 sq and if it's wide front, long and thin and then if gives some previous layouts as a starter for 10. Does that exist? 

Thanks in advance!

I’m using an app on my iPad and MacBook called home design 3d its a low cost easy to learn version that stores in the cloud so if I’m out in a store I have access to my plans. Good for outline designs and ideas of what can be fitted in different rooms. Not good enough for submitting plans to council but that’s ok for me. 

For floor plans/interior layouts etc, floorplanner.com is about as user friendly as we've found.

For actual planning drawings/sections etc. then sketchup has worked well for me. The other half can't get on with it, but I find it pretty useful for drawing.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

sketchup is definitely a good option, it doesnt take a lot to make it work for basic stuff, a couple drags of the mouse to make a box and you can import floorplans to map them exactly if you need. when we were exploring house moving we used it all the time to really quickly flesh out layout plans based on the estate agents details - it often highlighted mistakes and missing details in the descriptions and was big help when sleuthing houses with no floorplans.

• Like 1