Closets, closets everywhere!

Take a look at this corner of our house design:

1943332794_ScreenShot2022-01-15at01_31_06.thumb.png.5b90e9d2b575506a2fe267be268636a7.png

Very exciting but the question is - if I would want to put a closet along this wall, it'd stick out into the window which looks weird. 

So - what's a "reasonable minimum" size of stick-out to accomodate future closets or freestanding wardrobes

I'm leaning towards 350mm since a small-but-okay freestanding cabinet is 300mm, and I imagine making it built-in requires a bit of a wall so 350? Or would you go larger, sacrificing more of the window?

It depends what you want to put there.

A chest of drawers is likely going to be around 400-450mm deep. You can get furniture 350mm deep but it would be quite restricting. However, you will have skirting boards and it never sits perfectly flat against them or the wall so you have to add another 50mm realistically.

Minimum depth to be useful for a wardrobe is around 550mm, to allow for the depth of hangers. Free standing or built  in furniture style you would have to allow around 600mm, if it was built out of stud work you would have to allow for the depth of the wall so 650-700mm.

However, if the wall is quite long, you could have a wardrobe then a space for a TV, seat etc so it would be less of an issue.

What size is the window? I personally would have a bigger space to the corner. Bedrooms can be quite tricky to furnish as if you have a door, then a wardrobe then a window and possibly a radiator you start to end up with almost nowhere to put furniture.

To be clear - I can still change the .. setback? (thanks @MikeSharp01, I never know these words..) from the current 300 to say 400 as per @AliG - I don't need to store clothing, we've sized our clothing wardrobes properly I think, but "random crap" storage might be lacking in our house.

So 400 setback as the default would be a good idea?

If you think of the depth of a kitchen wall cabinet that is 300-400. We have some large cupboards 300mm internally in the kitchen and they are surprisingly useful for small items.

One thing I would consider is that if you plan to put a fixed cupboard there, is the window supposed to be centred on the room? In my parents' house when we designed the kitchen we centred the window as if the cabinets were the wall otherwise it would have looked weirdly off centre.

43 minutes ago, AliG said:

If you think of the depth of a kitchen wall cabinet that is 300-400. We have some large cupboards 300mm internally in the kitchen and they are surprisingly useful for small items.

One thing I would consider is that if you plan to put a fixed cupboard there, is the window supposed to be centred on the room? In my parents' house when we designed the kitchen we centred the window as if the cabinets were the wall otherwise it would have looked weirdly off centre.

Yes that's a fair point, the centering will be weird if we don't commit to or the other. Will have to take a look how this works out.